Some Facts and Information About Chinese Drywall
The idea of something within our walls, something our house is made of, causing corrosion to our appliances, air conditioner, and television sets, along with health problems such as sinus infections and rashes can be a terrifying thought. This is why Chinese drywall has become such a highly discussed topic in today’s news.
Chinese drywall was used in over 100,000 homes nationwide and in over 35,000 homes in just Florida alone. Here are some of the facts:
- It is made with higher levels of sulfur than US-made drywall, which mixes with moisture (humidity!) to cause a gas that is being emitted into the air from the drywall, leading the corrosion of electric devices such as refrigerators and TVs.
- Patrick Williams of the University of New Orleans has found that health issues associated with families residing in homes with Chinese drywall include various sinus problems, bloody noses, and rashes, which lead experts to believe in the existence of airborne chemicals.
- Some homeowners also complain of a foul odor (rotten egg smell) associated with the corrosive gas.
- According to CNN over 140 complaints have been made in the state of Florida, some of them resulting in lawsuits against builders using the product in their homes, manufacturers producing the drywall itself, and distributors who sell the drywall to the builders.
- Lennar Homes, one of the first building companies in Florida to use the Chinese drywall, started using the product when the housing boom in 2005 left builders with a dwindling supply of US-made drywall, forcing them to go elsewhere for their products.
- Government studies are now being conducted to discover whether builders like Lennar and manufacturers knew of the dangers and defects associated with the product and whether they put it in the homes anyway.
- Although lawsuits are being conducted, many issues arise. If the government can prove the existence of fraud of the part of the companies installing, creating, and selling the Chinese drywall, insurance companies will likely refuse to pay the damages caused by the drywall in the homes.
- Likewise, because drywall is an integral part of the home and the damage can be extensive from the corrosion, nothing short of tearing down the home will suffice in compensating the homeowner for their loses.
- Many companies being sued are also either filing for bankruptcy, leaving homeowners with no one to sue, or refusing to acknowledge a problem with the drywall, and with no current expert studies on the actual affects, it may be hard to prove.
For more information on Chinese drywall and its effects, visit (Chinesedrywall.com).
- The Controversy over Chinese Drywall
- How Do I know if Chinese Drywall is in my home?
- What do I do if Chinese Drywall is in my home?
We at Meldon Law strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
We are experienced personal injury attorneys, trial lawyers, negotiators, litigators, paralegals, and staff that have been proudly working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years in Gainesville, Ocala, Lake City, Inverness, and the rest of North Central Florida and North Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, and motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian accidents, dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
Based on Jeffrey Meldon’s, founder of Meldon Law, over 40 years of helping accident victims get justice and a fair shake from the insurance companies, he has written the consumer guide book, Seven Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Florida Accident Case. You can request your free, no obligation copy right now, or contact our office for your complimentary copy sent to you today.
Contact Meldon Law at 800-373-8000 immediately if you have been involved in a serious auto, truck, or motorcycle accident. We are in your community, have the experience and resources required to work towards obtaining a fair settlement for you – we are here to help you.