What is the Difference Between Collision and Comprehensive Insurance?
Collision and Comprehensive insurance are often confused. Both protect your vehicle in different ways. Here is the information:
Collision insurance covers damages to your vehicle caused by an accident (collision).
- Collision insurance pays even if you caused the accident that damaged your car.
- Collision coverage is especially valuable because one in four Floridians drive illegally without any insurance.
- Even if the driver that was at fault for the accident had the required insurance, the required amount of property damage liability insurance is only $10,000 in Florida.
- The recommended amount of Collision coverage varies depending on the age and value of your vehicle.
Comprehensive insurance is also known as “other than collision” insurance or “OTC”. It covers damage done to your vehicle from things other than collisions, such as: vandalism, disasters, theft, fire, impacts with animals, etc.
- Comprehensive does not cover any damage as a result of a collision.
- If you live in a high crime area, have a newer model vehicle, or a vehicle that is a common target of theft, Comprehensive insurance is highly recommended.
For more information:
- Florida Auto Insurance Coverage – Laws, Recommendations, Factors, and Tips.
- Floridians, Protect your Cars from Theft – Local Accident Attorney Explains How
Hello, I am Jeffrey Meldon. As an accident attorney, I strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
My Offices are located in Gainesville, Ocala and Ft. Lauderdale. We are Personal Injury Attorneys (Accident Lawyers). I take pride in my work and the results that I and my experienced team of Associates and Staff get for our clients.
Everyone in my office works hard to help accident victims get the justice and the fair settlement or jury verdict that they deserve throughout the Florida area including Marion County, Alachua County, Lake City, Citrus County, Daytona Beach, Inverness, Broward County, Palm Beach County, and Miami Dade County. I am highly involved with every case in my office and am the negotiator with insurance companies.
Consultations and Case Evaluations are always Free.