What Are The Most Dangerous Times To Be On The Road?
Whether you are a parent of a young driver, an elderly driver, or are just curious when the most dangerous times to be on the road in Florida are – here are seven interesting facts that may help.
According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles’ 2010 Florida Traffic Crash Statistics:
- There are more crashes during the daylight hours. However, if you get in a crash during the night you are nearly three-times more likely to be killed.
- There are more crashes under dry road surface conditions and you are more likely to be killed. However, you are more likely to be injured on wet roadways.
- There are more crashes in March than other month. March also has the highest number of fatal crashes.
- There are more crashes during the hour between 5:00 -6:00 p.m. on a weekly basis. However, if you are in a crash in the 6:00 p.m. hour (versus an hour earlier) you are two-and-one-half times more likely to be killed. More fatal crashes occur during the 6:00 p.m. hour than any another hour of the day on a weekly basis. Friday during the 5:00 p.m. hour has the highest number of crashes in a week.
- There are more fatal crashes on Saturday at the 10:00 p.m. hour than any other hour of the week. However, if you are in a crash Sunday during the 3:00 a.m. hour you will be more likely to be killed than at any other time of the week (second most fatal time is the 4:00 a.m. hour on Sunday.)
- There are more fatal crashes on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in the evening, late night and early morning hours. In fact, these three days account for over 50% of fatal accidents and only 43% of crashes in a week.
- There is a higher rate of fatal accidents on Labor Day weekend than on other holiday weekends with 43% of the fatalities involving alcohol.
What we can learn from these facts:
- Drive in daylight hours;
- Avoid the roadways between 5:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. on weekdays if possible, especially on Fridays. If you have to drive during these hours, pay attention and stay off your cell phone;
- Avoid driving on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in the evening, late-night, and early morning hours;
- Do not drink and drive;
- Make sure to slow down under wet roadwaybconditions;
- Be more careful in March and over Labor Day weekend.
Hello, I am Jeffrey Meldon. As an accident attorney, I strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
My Office and Associates are located in Gainesville, Florida. We are Personal Injury Attorneys (Accident Lawyers). I take pride in my work and the results that I and my experienced team of Associates and Staff get for our clients.
Everyone in my Office works hard to help accident victims get the justice and the fair settlement or jury verdict that they deserve throughout the North and Central Florida area including: Ocala, Marion County, Alachua County, Lake City, Citrus County, Daytona Beach, and Inverness. I am highly involved with every case in my office and am the negotiator with insurance companies.
You can feel free to give me a call at 800-373-8000 or contact my office, with any questions you may have, or to discuss your unique case.
Consultations and Case Evaluations are always Free.