As a Gainesville and surrounding areas motorcycle accident attorney; here are some tips for bikers for safe motorcycle riding this summer in Florida:
- Check your “T-CLOCS”. Before riding, the Motorcycle Safety Foundation recommends completing a “T-CLOCS” inspection: “T” (tires and wheels); “C” (controls; “L” (lights); “O” (oil and fluids); “C” (chassis); and “S” (stand).
- Road-Ready Gear Only. Protect your body with long pants and sleeves and boots to stabilize your feet and ankles. And, even though it’s hot outside, don’t forget a leather jacket.
- Eyewear required. While helmets are not required for adults, an eye-protective device approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles is non-negotiable.
- Start Slo and Account for a Passenger. Carrying a passenger increases stopping time and distance. While a passenger can act as an extra set of eyes and ears, they also may slide forward in a quick stop.
- Earphones are illegal, but helmet speakers are permitted.
- Protect yourself with required insurance, if you choose to “ride free.” Florida law requires a motorcyclist carry at least $10,000 in medical benefits if riding without a helmet. For more insurance information.
- Maintain a valid motorcycle-only license. Florida law requires motorcyclists have a valid license, which includes completion of a 15-hour Basic Rider Course to promote driver responsibility.
- Make the choice to wear a helmet. It could save your life.
We at Meldon Law strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
We are experienced personal injury attorneys, trial lawyers, negotiators, litigators, paralegals, and staff that have been proudly working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years in Gainesville, Ocala, Lake City, Inverness, and the rest of North Central Florida and North Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, and motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian accidents, dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
Based on Jeffrey Meldon’s, founder of Meldon Law, over 40 years of helping accident victims get justice and a fair shake from the insurance companies, he has written the consumer guide book, Seven Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Florida Accident Case. You can request your free, no obligation copy right now, or contact our office for your complimentary copy sent to you today.
Contact Meldon Law at (800) 373-8000 or (352) 373-8000 immediately if you have been involved in a serious auto, truck, or motorcycle accident. We are in your community, have the experience and resources required to work towards obtaining a fair settlement for you – we are here to help you.