When Rubber Does Not Meet Pavement – Hydroplaning. 5 Ways To Avoid Losing Control
Do you know what to do if your car begins to hydroplane? Gainesville accident attorney, Jeffrey Meldon gives 5 ways to avoid losing control when rubber does not meet the road.
The best ways to avoid hydroplaning in wet conditions are to drive slowly and to keep your tires in good condition. The first 30 minutes after a rainstorm are the most dangerous with persistent wet conditions. If you find yourself in a heavy downpour or maneuvering pooled water, stay calm and remember these guidelines-they just might keep you in control.
- Slow down. In a heavy downpour, experts recommend slowing to 30 mph. Remember a speed limit is just that-the maximum driving speed for optimum driving conditions. The likelihood of hydroplaning increases at higher speeds.
- No immediate braking. To slow your car, take your foot off the accelerator, instead of slamming on the brakes. After regaining traction with the road, slowly brake to reduce speed.
- Steer straight. Maneuver in a calm, predictable manner without turning or veering. If your tires “lock up,” wait until your tires regain contact with the road before maneuvering.
- Follow the “tracks.” If possible and allowing adequate time for breaking, drive in the “tracks” left by the vehicle ahead of you. The car ahead wicks water from the roadway.
- Avoid pooled water. Expect that water is pooled in the shoulder, pot holes, grooves, and other low lying areas. Pooled, deep water decreases tire contact with the road. If you must steer through pooled water, reduce speed before hitting the puddle.
For more information on hydroplaning:
- Crash on the Interstate – What we Can Learn from It
- What is Viscous Hydroplaning?
- The 5 Factors of Hydroplaning – Gainesville Accident Attorney Explains.
- What should I look for when checking my vehicle’s tires?
We at Meldon Law strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
We are experienced personal injury attorneys, trial lawyers, negotiators, litigators, paralegals, and staff that have been proudly working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years in Gainesville, Ocala, Lake City, Inverness, and the rest of North Central Florida and North Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, and motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian accidents, dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
Based on Jeffrey Meldon’s, founder of Meldon Law, over 40 years of helping accident victims get justice and a fair shake from the insurance companies, he has written the consumer guide book, Seven Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Florida Accident Case. You can request your free, no obligation copy right now, or contact our office for your complimentary copy sent to you today.
Contact Meldon Law at 800-373-8000 immediately if you have been involved in a serious auto, truck, or motorcycle accident. We are in your community, have the experience and resources required to work towards obtaining a fair settlement for you – we are here to help you.