Gainesville Accident Attorney Gives Examples of Attractive Nuisance in Florida.
Here are some tragic, real-life examples of attractive nuisances. As an accident attorney in north central Florida, I hope we can learn from these situations and work together to eliminate attractive nuisance risks to children.
- A child fell into a pool and died when the homeowner left the fence around the pool open, and the child wandered into the yard, enticed by the sound of water running into the pool from a hose. (Samson v. O’Hara, 239 So. 2d 151 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 2d Dist. 1970)).
- A child fell from a tree in a public park onto a bench below. The city knew that children sometimes climbed the tree, and that if a fall occurred, a child could be injured by the bench. (Cusick ex rel. Cusick v. City of Neptune Beach, 765 So. 2d 175 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 1st Dist. 2000)).
- A child died at a construction site when playing with a giant mound of sand, palmetto leaves, and grass. The construction company could have easily moved the large mound or arranged it into smaller piles, which would have been less likely to attract children. (Ridgewood Groves, Inc. v. Dowell, 189 So. 2d 188 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 2d Dist. 1966)).
- A child died when swimming in a man-made pit filled with water, where children were known to swim. The pit was equipped with a wooden dock and raft. (Ansin v. Thurston, 98 So. 2d 87 (Fla. Dist. Ct. App. 3d Dist. 1957)). 41 Fla. Jur 2d Premises Liability §§ 66-77.
For more information:
- What is the Attractive Nuisance Doctrine? Gainesville Accident Attorney Answers.
- Local accident attorney offers 10 ways to protect children from an attractive nuisance
We at Meldon Law strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
We are experienced personal injury attorneys, trial lawyers, negotiators, litigators, paralegals, and staff that have been proudly working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years in Gainesville, Ocala, Lake City, Inverness, and the rest of North Central Florida and North Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, and motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian accidents, dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
Based on Jeffrey Meldon’s, founder of Meldon Law, over 40 years of helping accident victims get justice and a fair shake from the insurance companies, he has written the consumer guide book, Seven Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Florida Accident Case. You can request your free, no obligation copy right now, or contact our office for your complimentary copy sent to you today.
Contact Meldon Law at 800-373-8000 immediately if you have been involved in a serious auto, truck, or motorcycle accident. We are in your community, have the experience and resources required to work towards obtaining a fair settlement for you – we are here to help you.