Losing a driver’s license is one of the many consequences that can follow after a drunk driving conviction in Florida. For first time offenders, the loss of license can last for 180 days, or for as long as one year. The revocation is effective on the conviction date. This inability to drive can make it difficult to get to and from work and to carry out the daily activities of everyday life. If you or a loved is faced with a charge of driving under the influence (DUI) contact an experienced Gainesville DUI lawyer today for assistance in fighting your conviction and guidance about your legal rights.
When it is time to get your license back after a first offense DUI in Florida, take the following steps:
- Apply for a hardship license in the county where you live if you need it to get to and from work.
- Enroll in and complete a DUI school and treatment program, if it was ordered.
- Once the revocation period has ended, present proof of enrollment or completion of DUI school and treatment, if applicable.
- Ensure that you complete the course within 90 days after your license is reinstated in order to avoid your license being cancelled again.
- Take the required examination.
- Pay an administrative fee.
- Pay a revocation reinstatement fee.
- Pay a license fee.
- Present proof that you have bodily injury liability insurance in the amount of at least $100,000 per person, $300,000 per occurrence, and $50,000 in property damage liability.
Furthermore, if you were required to install an ignition interlock device, you may need to take additional steps and pay extra fees in order to reinstate your license.
With the right attorney in your corner, you could minimize the amount of time that you lose your license following a first offense Gainesville DUI. Our free guide, Ways to Possibly Avoid a DUI Charge or Conviction in Alachua County, offers additional information about fighting a charge of DUI.
For more information about reinstating your license following a DUI, contact an experienced Florida DUI attorney today. Call the Law Office of Jeffrey Meldon & Associates at their toll free number: 800-373-8000.