Bad Faith Denial of Insurance Claims Explained.
Imagine, you are driving to the movies for a little relaxation time. However, you never get to relax…. A distracted truck driver runs a red light, and your car is wrapped around a utility pole and you black out. The next thing you know, its two weeks later and you are in critical condition in the hospital, surrounded by flowers. You just lost two weeks of your life and possibly your job, and are incurring mountains of debt from medical bills due to your car crash that caused severe injuries. You may even think it will all work out because you have adequate insurance to cover your expenses.
Except, your insurance company denies your claim! You don’t understand. You made all the payments, met all the requirements, and yet, your claim is being denied. As an experienced Gainesville accident attorney I know, you are not the only one this happens to. Insurance companies frequently encourage denial of claims in order to boost their bottom line throughout Florida.
Bad faith insurance practices can cover a wide range of areas, from denying payment of medical bills to denying your entire claim. Florida courts have recognized that insurance companies must act in good faith when dealing with clients and their personal injury or accident claims and can be held liable for acting in bad faith. An experienced accident attorney can help you better understand your rights under these court recognized precedents.
The following are some examples of insurance company acting in bad faith. For more, visit http://www.badfaithinsurance.org.
- Your insurance company fails to provide a good reason for denying your claim.
- Your insurance company asks for heavy amounts of documentation that may be difficult to get and is not required by your specific policy.
- Your insurance company provides a very low (“low-balling”) estimate of the value of your loss.
- Your insurance company makes threats that they will not pay your claim without reason or merit.
- Your insurance company tells you not to get a lawyer in order to help you with your situation.
- Your insurance company does not meet the standards of other insurance companies in the area.
- The investigation of your claim by the insurance company appears to be biased.
- Your insurance company misrepresents the language in your policy to your disadvantage
- Your insurance company fails to respond or act when you make a complaint for a claim.
- Your insurance company’s investigation measures feel overly invasive, harassing, or belittling to you and your situation.
For more information on insurance questions and problems, here are some more suggestions.
We at Meldon Law strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
We are experienced personal injury attorneys, trial lawyers, negotiators, litigators, paralegals, and staff that have been proudly working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years in Gainesville, Ocala, Lake City, Inverness, and the rest of North Central Florida and North Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, and motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian accidents, dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
Based on Jeffrey Meldon’s, founder of Meldon Law, over 40 years of helping accident victims get justice and a fair shake from the insurance companies, he has written the consumer guide book, Seven Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Florida Accident Case. You can request your free, no obligation copy right now, or contact our office for your complimentary copy sent to you today.
Contact Meldon Law at (800) 373-8000 or (352) 373-8000 immediately if you have been involved in a serious auto, truck, or motorcycle accident. We are in your community, have the experience and resources required to work towards obtaining a fair settlement for you – we are here to help you.