As an experienced accident attorney, who has helped many victims of cycling accidents and their families in Gainesville, Ocala and the surrounding areas, I recognize that adult bike safety saves lives. In a crash, a bike is no match for a 3,000 pound car.
Cycling safety in Florida is especially important because Florida ranks second nationwide in pedestrian and bicycling accidents-partly due to the excellent warm weather that Floridians enjoy. http://alerts.nationalsafetycommission.com/2009/04/pedestrian-and-bicycle-safety_16.php
Preventative, “defensive driving” measures to avoid a bike accident all together can be more effective than relying on secondary measures-such as wearing a helmet. Here are some tips to avoid a potentially deadly crash:
- Drive your Bike. Be predictable and obey state and local traffic laws. Cyclists are responsible for following all of the same traffic laws as motor vehicles.
- Don’t Pass on the Right. Motorists regularly do not look to their right for passing vehicles, including bikes. Observe the normal flow of traffic.
- Understand and Anticipate Common Crash Scenarios. Florida Bicycle Association provides color diagrams of potentially deadly crash scenarios like the “Overtaking Right Hook,” the parking lot “Door Prize,” or the “Pothole Plunge.” http://www.floridabicycle.org/rules/driveyourbike.html#crashescyclist
- Wear a properly fitted helmet, even if not required by law. Helmets can save your brain, even in the event of a minor crash.
- Be Visible. Wear light or brightly colored clothing. If you must ride at night, make sure to properly equip your bike with appropriate lights required by law.
- Stay Alert. Be aware of traffic around you, potential obstacles, parked vehicles in parking lots, driveways, intersections, high congestion areas, and delivery trucks and semis. Headphones and headsets are prohibited by law and inhibit your senses.
- Maintain proper working order of your bike-tires, handlebars, brakes, seat, lights. If it’s been a while, test them out before riding with traffic.
- Brush up on your hand signals, so motorists can anticipate your actions at least 100 feet before you turn or “make a move.”
For More Information:
Bicyclists – Know the Law and Stay Alive
Hello, I am Jeffrey Meldon. As an accident attorney, I strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
My Office and Associates are located in Gainesville, Florida. We are Personal Injury Attorneys (Accident Lawyers). I take pride in my work and the results that I and my experienced team of Associates and Staff get for our clients.
Everyone in my Office works hard to help accident victims get the justice and the fair settlement or jury verdict that they deserve throughout the North and Central Florida area including: Ocala, Marion County, Alachua County, Lake City, Citrus County, Daytona Beach, and Inverness. I am highly involved with every case in my office and am the negotiator with insurance companies.
You can feel free to give me a call at 1 800 373 8000 or contact my office, with any questions you may have, or to discuss your unique case.
Consultations and Case Evaluations are always Free