Gainesville Dog Bite Lawyer
Getting bitten by a dog was just the beginning. Now, in addition to medical bills, you may have other out-of-pocket losses, such as lost wages. The dog’s owner may even deny responsibility and blame you for what happened. In a time like this, you deserve more than legal help; you deserve a tireless advocate.
Meldon Law is a staple of the Gainesville community. Since 1971, we’ve managed countless successful dog bite cases. If you were bitten by an aggressive dog, a Gainesville dog bite lawyer from our firm can pursue financial recovery. We have no problem taking on the negligent party and their insurer. You can learn more about your case’s potential when you call (352) 373-8000.
You Have Legal Rights as a Dog Bite Claimant in Gainesville
Under Florida law, you can pursue damages from the dog’s owner, even if they didn’t know the animal was aggressive. However, if the other party can successfully argue that you acted negligently, this could reduce how much compensation you could seek.
We have found that some dog owners will claim that the victim was really the aggressor. We don’t have patience for people who try to discredit our clients; we fight back using evidence, such as:
- Security camera footage
- Eyewitness testimony
- Information from third-party consultants (such as animal behavioral specialists)
- Photos of your injuries
- The police/accident report
In your time of need, you can trust that we’ll do everything in our power to secure fair compensation. Our dog bite lawyers bite back.
How Our Gainesville Lawyers Intend to Secure Financial Recovery
When you hire Meldon Law, you get more than a Gainesville personal injury lawyer; you get our entire team’s experience, insights, and resources. You’re not alone in your fight for financial justice, and we hope to serve you by:
Determining Liability for Your Losses
Liability in a dog bite case can quickly get confusing. To identify who should pay for your losses, we’ll learn:
- Where the incident occurred
- Who owned the dog
- The circumstances of the attack
- The treatment you required
- The dog’s history of aggression
- Whether you interacted with the dog before
- Whether your dog was involved in the attack
If you were bitten by a friend’s dog, their insurance would likely cover your losses. Yet, if you were bitten while visiting a pet store or animal rescue, the business could be responsible for your damages. Our team uses evidence when asserting liability, leaving the other party with little room to argue otherwise.
Initiating Your Case Within the Appropriate Deadline
Florida law outlines how long you have to file a lawsuit against a dog’s owner. You generally have two years to file your lawsuit, although some exceptions could extend or shorten this deadline. Our dog bite attorneys stay abreast of any changes to state law that could affect your case, protecting your rights and case’s outcome.
Overcoming Your Case’s Challenges
Dog owners take allegations of aggression seriously. With the way they fight back, you would think you were accusing them of biting you––and not their dog. Emotions run high in these cases, presenting many challenges. Yet, we can combat all of them.
Some obstacles we can overcome in your case include:
- You don’t have enough evidence to hold the dog’s owner liable.
- The dog’s owner claims you provoked the animal.
- The liable party refutes the amount you’re requesting.
- The other party doesn’t cooperate with the legal process.
- There are disputes over who owns the dog.
We’re not saying these challenges are present in your case, but if they arise, we have no problem tackling them head-on. While you focus on recuperating, we focus on achieving a fair outcome to your injury claim or lawsuit.
Our Dog Bite Attorneys Seek Recovery for Your Losses in Gainesville
We believe that compensation should account for more than your medical bills; it should account for each way the dog bite has affected your life. Through a claim or lawsuit, we can seek:
- The full cost of your healthcare expenses
- Lost income, tips, and bonuses from your missed time from work
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Emotional trauma (such as post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Any money you spent out of pocket
The liable insurance company may try to intimidate you into dropping the claim. We fight any attempts to devalue your claim with every tool in our arsenal.
Just Who Is Meldon Law?
Meldon Law is comprised of lifelong Florida residents who have one goal: upholding the rights of injured people. Whether you’re a student or a long-time Gainesvillian, we’re eager to meet you and pursue financial justice.
When asked about partnering with us, we find that our clients appreciate our honesty and tenacity. Some have shared:
- “Meldon Law is a GREAT attorneys company! When my case first started I was with another attorney but I switched over to Meldon Law in the middle of my case because I could not have any type of updates or get in contact with my last attorney but once I switched to Meldon Law everything changed for the better!” ––Trey
- “I have recommended a couple people to them already and I know they will do everything they can to help people who without Meldon Law might not have been able to help themselves. Davina is always so pleasant when she answers the phone, she always puts a smile on my face. 10 out of 10.” ––Estee
It Doesn’t Matter What Type of Dog Bit You; We Want to Help
Florida law does not ban any specific dog breed. This means, regardless of what type of dog bit you, you have financial recovery options. Reach out to our personal injury attorneys today for a free initial evaluation of your case. You deserve a team who fights for your rights and overcomes your case’s hurdles. We don’t back down from our pursuit of justice and compensation. To learn more about working with our dog bite injury team, call Meldon Law at (352) 373-8000.