– – – – –
Imagine a scenario where you are visiting a store, and while searching for your favorite morning cereal, you step in some spilled water, slip, and fall to the ground. As a result of the slip and fall, you suffer a terrible back injury that takes many months to rehabilitate. If you are represented by a knowledgeable Ocala slip and fall lawyer, he or she may suggest that you pursue compensation from the store owner for creating the condition that caused the accident. In a perfect world, the store owner would admit that it was his fault and reimburse your current and future medical, rehabilitation, and other related expenses. Unfortunately, that is rarely the case. Instead, you will have to file a claim in order to receive the compensation that you are entitled to.
Here are some possible defenses the defendant might assert:
- Deny the existence of the dangerous condition that caused the Ocala slip and fall.
- Deny having had prior knowledge, or reason to know, of the dangerous condition that caused the accident.
- Argue that the victim acted carelessly or negligently when suffering the slip and fall accident. The defendant will argue that the plaintiff is either partially or fully responsible for his or her injuries.
- Argue that the victim had a pre-existing condition, and therefore his or her injuries were not caused by the slip and fall accident.
- Argue that the victim was not injured by the Florida slip and fall accident.
- Argue that the victim had a clear opportunity to avoid the accident.
- Argue that the victim knowingly placed himself in a risky situation and therefore assumed the risk of a slip and fall.
Slip and fall claims are subject to a statute of limitations. Time is of the essence to bring your action to receive the compensation that you deserve. To learn more, contact an experienced Ocala slip and fall attorney today. Call the skilled team at The Law Office of Jeffrey Meldon & Associates at 800-373-8000 to set up a free consultation to discuss your situation.