A car accident can be scary, especially if it’s the first time you’ve had to deal with everything that comes along with it. Many of my clients have little idea what to do immediately afterward (PRO TIP: everyone reading this blog should immediately download or order our book “Seven Mistakes that Can Wreck Your Florida Accident Case written by Jeffrey Meldon off or website www.Meldonlaw.com). Whether you live in Gainesville, Ocala, or Fort Lauderdale, it is our advice that you take your time finding the law firm that is the right fit for you and your loved ones.
I’ve compiled a few short questions that you may want to ask your potential law firm before settling on who will represent you in your car accident case.
1) Will a lawyer or legal assistant be involved in the case from the start to finish?
-Some firms may have their paralegals meet with the clients without a lawyer present and/or have the paralegals handle the pre-trial negotiations. At Meldon Law, you will meet with a lawyer during your consultation and only a lawyer will be involved in the final settlement of a case. Furthermore, Meldon Law makes a concerted effort to have you meet with an actual partner in the firm if possible.
2) Will the lawyer be willing to sit down with you and explain how a civil personal injury case works?
-At Meldon Law, we prefer meeting all our clients in our conference rooms so we can put a name to a face. Whether we are in the Gainesville, Ocala, or Fort Lauderdale office, we want to take the time to meet our clients to see what injuries they may have suffered or will continue to suffer after a car accident. Many times, we can visually see how much pain our clients are in which helps us understand the exigency of their medical needs. And the best part is that these consultations are free!
3) Will I be able to speak with my law firm during the case?
–At Meldon law, we encourage you to call whenever you have a question. Every case is handled by an attorney with legal assistant support. This team approach allows our firm to understand your needs as we move forward with your case. We want you to be a happy client!
4) How long will it take my case to be resolved?
– I tell my clients that every case is different and therefore it’s difficult for me to predict accurately how long each case will take to conclude. Our firm prides itself on trying to fully investigate and organize your case before we attempt to settle or try your case in trial. In our personal injury cases, we work on what’s commonly known as a contingency fee where our fee is based on our client’s recovery amount. Therefore, not only do we ethically have a duty to represent our clients in the best possible manner but it’s usually in all parties’ best interest.
5) Will my lawyer help me negotiate and manage my medical bills and other costs at the conclusion of my case?
– At Meldon law, we always attempt to help our clients walk away with all costs paid as well as putting money in our clients’ pockets so they feel like they have achieved some measure of justice. We want to help you navigate the confusing field of liens and outstanding bills so you don’t have to feel additional financial stress after enduring what often is already a stress filled time in our clients’ lives.