Preventing Slips And Falls
You may not think about it, but any time you walk, you incur the risk of slipping and falling. Slips and falls account for 1 million ER visits every year. Five percent of those who fall will suffer a broken bone.
Slips and trips occur when the foot doesn’t make full contact with the ground like it should. Many slips and trips result in falls, which can lead to serious injuries. They can happen any time, any place, so you need to be vigilant. Therefore, prevention is the best strategy. Here are some things you can do to prevent slips and fall at home and in the workplace.
Slip and Fall Prevention in the Workplace
Prevent workplace accidents by following these tips:
- Be careful when using ladders. Many falls happen off ladders, so make sure to use them on flat surfaces. Be sure they open fully before using them. Wipe off the rungs before stepping on them. Also, avoid overloading the ladder.
- Check floor mats. They should lay flat and not be bunched up where they can cause someone to trip.
- Remove hazards. Cords, empty boxes, and clutter are all hazards that can cause someone to trip and fall. Keep these items out of high-traffic areas.
- Wear appropriate footwear. Shoes with non-slip soles should be worn in the workplace. They will keep you safe and prevent slips.
- Alert your supervisor to hazards. If you see anything that can cause someone to fall, such as a spilled liquid or cluttered walkway, tell your manager right away.
Slip and Fall Prevention at Home
It’s common for people to slip, trip, and fall in their own homes, so they need to do their part to keep the floor clean and free of debris. This includes the following:
- Cleaning up spills promptly. If you spill water or another liquid, don’t wait to clean it up. Get it cleaned up as soon as possible—before someone slips.
- Securing carpets and rugs. Accidents tend to happen when someone trips over a loose rug or area of carpet. If you have rugs in your home, keep them secured to the floor. If they are worn or keep bunching up, then toss them.
- Removing clutter. Keep walkways clear and free of tripping hazards. Remove any unnecessary items so hallways and other areas are clear of debris. Sweep or mop the area as well.
- Make sure you can see where you’re going. Keep all areas of your home well-lit, as darkness increases the risk of slips, trips, and falls. If light bulbs are burned out, promptly replace them so you can see clearly.
Contact Us Today
Slips and falls can happen in the workplace, outside, while running errands, and even in your own home. Prevention is the best way to avoid injuries.
The Florida personal injury attorneys at Meldon Law can assist you with your slip and fall case. We will help you get fair compensation to pay for your damages. We have three offices to serve you: Gainesville, Ocala, and Fort Lauderdale. Schedule a free consultation by filling out the online form or calling (800) 373-3000.