Four Reasons Why You Should Have Bodily Injury Liability Insurance Coverage
I estimate that less than 25% of today’s drivers have adequate Bodily Injury Liability Insurance. The major reason may be because it is not required in the state of Florida, but that doesn’t mean you should make yourself a victim.
There are four reasons I believe everyone should have Bodily Injury Liability insurance (BI).
- It is the right thing to do. If you cause an accident, you should be able to provide monetary compensation to the person(s) you hurt. People often miss work and accumulate piles of medical bills after a car accident. Without BI, you will not be able to cover any damages or medical bills for the other person, which can easily result in a law suit. Remember, the person who is compensated may be a friend of yours who was a passenger in your car when you caused a crash.
- BI insurance provides an attorney if you are at fault in a car accident and get sued, which can make your difficult situation easier to resolve.
- BI protects your assets. If you cause an accident and do not have BI you risk a lawsuit and putting your non-homestead assets in jeopardy. However, if you have an adequate amount of BI, most lawyers will settle and will not go after your personal assets.
- Purchasing BI allows you to have Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist Coverage, which is something of the utmost importance as it protects you and your family when the negligence of others causes serious injury to you or your family.
As an experienced Ocala and Gainesville accident attorney, I strongly suggest and recommend you protect yourself and your family by purchasing an adequate amount of BI-the minimum $10,000 personal injury protection will not even get someone out of the emergency room. I recommend at least $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident.
Also, beware of inexperienced insurance sales representatives when purchasing an insurance policy. You wouldn’t use the internet to treat a medical problem right? Therefore, do not buy insurance online or over the phone. Visit a local experienced insurance agent to ensure you are getting quality advice. You can always shop prices later after you know what insurance coverage you need.
For more information, please see:
- Bodily Injury Liability Insurance 101
- Is Bodily Injury Liability Insurance required in Florida?
- Auto Inurance Coverage: Laws, Recommendations, Factors and Tips for Florida Drivers.
- What is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Insurance and why do I need it?
Hello, I am Jeffrey Meldon. As an accident attorney, I strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
My Office and Associates are located in Gainesville, Florida. We are Personal Injury Attorneys (Accident Lawyers). I take pride in my work and the results that I and my experienced team of Associates and Staff get for our clients.
Everyone in my Office works hard to help accident victims get the justice and the fair settlement or jury verdict that they deserve throughout the North and Central Florida area including: Ocala, Marion County, Alachua County, Lake City, Citrus County, Daytona Beach, and Inverness. I am highly involved with every case in my office and am the negotiator with insurance companies.
You can feel free to give me a call at 800-373-8000 or contact my office, with any questions you may have, or to discuss your unique case.
Consultations and Case Evaluations are always Free.