Gainesville, Florida Sex Crimes Lawyer
Sex crimes are taken extremely seriously in Gainesville and throughout the rest of Florida. Those convicted will face legal penalties that remain with them for the rest of their lives, as well as a social stigma that is hard to escape. Being convicted of a sex crime will hurt your reputation and limit your future opportunities. It is for these reasons that you should consider consulting with a Gainesville sex crimes lawyer.
At Meldon Law, helping people fight criminal charges isn’t just a job. It’s our calling and our passion to fight for your future. Every person deserves quality legal representation, so they can feel they’ve received a fair trial. We aim to provide that peace of mind in our fight for your freedom. We won’t back down no matter who or what we face during the legal process. You are our priority, and we will treat you like family.
During your confidential consultation, we can discuss the scope of our legal services and how we aim to use them for your benefit. To learn more about how our criminal defense team can help, call (352) 373-8000.
Why Choose Meldon Law to Fight for Your Freedom?
Simply put, you should choose our law firm because Meldon Cares. For every client we take on, we offer:
- Compassion. It’s not easy to stand against the full force of the justice system, especially if you’re facing it alone. We want to provide peace of mind as our team takes up your worries and burdens. You deserve to be treated with dignity, respect, and compassion.
- Accountability. We are your representatives. That means you can trust us to treat you as you deserve to be treated and fight tenaciously on your behalf. You will receive transparent communication and honesty at every step.
- Reliability. There’s nothing worse than waiting on an important phone call from an attorney who doesn’t seem to care about the outcome of your case. It’s our desire to be there for you when you need us, whether in person or over the phone.
- Excellence. You deserve lawyers who can back up their promises with evidence of their excellence. Our results tell the story of our passionate advocacy for people in our Florida community; however, our attorneys boast some impressive accomplishments that also testify to their abilities. For example, one of our founding attorneys is one of America’s top trial attorneys and a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
- Success-Driven. Your success story is our success story. We are rooting for you and serving your best interests at every step–not just because the outcome of your case is important, but because we care about your future, your happiness, and the potential consequences of failure.
Our criminal defense firm will use the sum of its resources, time, knowledge, and expertise to support your case.
Our Criminal Defense Attorneys Handle Many Different Types of Sex Crimes Cases
There is a wide variety of sex crimes defined under state law, and they range from misdemeanors to felonies. Regardless of the charges you face, our attorneys can provide the defense strategies you need. Some of the most common types of sex crime cases we handle include:
- Sexual battery
- Sexual assault
- Statutory rape
- Possession of child pornography
- Child molestation
- Indecent exposure
- Sexual misconduct
Under the law, you have rights when you are charged with a sex crime. A Gainesville sex crimes attorney will ensure these rights are upheld and give you the best possible chance of a successful outcome.
Our Criminal Defense Lawyers Will Help You Avoid the Sex Offender Registry
One of the life-long consequences of a sex crime conviction is the fact that you may have to register on the state’s sex offender registry. This is a ramification that will remain with you even after you have served your sentence and completed other elements of your sentence, such as completing a harassment course. Not every sex offense conviction results in a registration requirement, but it is important to work with a defense attorney who could help you avoid a conviction altogether.
Our Sex Crime Attorneys Will Help You Avoid the Harsh Penalties of a Conviction
Sex offender registration is just one of the penalties you may face after a conviction. Sentences for sex crimes depend on many factors, including the nature and severity of the offense. The criminal penalties you may face if convicted of a sex crime include:
- Lengthy prison sentences
- Court costs and other fees
- Probation or other court-mandated supervision
- Involuntary commitment to a treatment facility
Any one of the above penalties can have a significant impact on your life in the coming years. It is not uncommon for those convicted of sex crimes to face multiple penalties, making things even more difficult. A defense attorney aims to beat these charges, so you face as few penalties as possible.
Possible Defenses for Your Sex Offense Case in Gainesville
The defenses we use will depend on your circumstances and the quality of the evidence the state has gathered. However, we may use one or a combination of these defenses to avoid a conviction or aim for lower charges:
- The evidence cannot and does not point to your guilt. We may call into question the case the prosecutor has built byscrutinizing the evidence they use. For example, if the state doesn’t have DNA evidence, it may be possible to draw into question your presence at the crime scene. It’s up to the prosecution to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it was you who perpetrated the crime, not someone who may fit your description.
- A crime did not take place. For consenting adults, we may be able to prove that the incident in question was done with the full consent of both parties.
- There is invalid evidence. On occasion, the prosecution will attempt to use evidence that violates your rights or the standards set in place by the law. We will suppress any evidence that doesn’t meet these standards.
These are not all of the possible defenses we could use. We will assess your case, the strength of the prosecution’s case, and all of your legal options when we create our strategy.
Our Gainesville Sex Crimes Attorneys Can Provide the Defense You Need
If you were charged with a sexual offense, you want a Gainesville sex crimes attorney who will fight for you. At Meldon Law, we have a proven track record of successfully helping our clients beat their charges, and we will put that experience to work for you, too. Call us today at (352) 373-8000 to learn about your legal options.