What is the Penalty for Failing to Stop for a School Bus in Florida and Are There Any Other Consequences?
As an accident lawyer, that has seen the devastating effects of school bus accidents involving a child hit by a car, I can say that this is an important topic to be reminded of as school is starting. Below I have given the penalties, however, keep in mind the biggest penalty is not the price of the ticket for failing to stop for a school bus but the potential heart-breaking consequences if you should injure or kill a child or children because you failed to stop or were distracted by a cell phone or some other driving distraction and failed to stop. According to Florida Statute §318.18(5):
- The penalty for failure to stop for a school bus is $100, and for a second offense within a period of 5 years the driver will have his/her driver’s license suspended for a minimum of 90 days and up to 6 months.
- Penalty for failing to stop and passing a school bus on the side where children enter and exit is $200 with a driver’s license suspension of 180 days to a year for a second offense within a period of five years.
- In each case, a penalty of $65 is imposed in addition to the above amounts in to be remitted to the Administrative Trust Fund of the Department of Health.
For more information see:
- Know the Law: Rules for Driving with School Buses in Florida
- What are the rules in Florida regarding stopping for a school bus?
I am local accident attorney Jeffrey Meldon and I strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of and/or recovery from a serious accident. My office and I take pride in our work, and the results we get for our clients.
Meldon Law is a regional law firm that is located in Gainesville, Florida. We are personal injury lawyers, litigators and trial lawyers that have been working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years throughout North Florida and all over Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, motorcycle, ATVs, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, and dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
For more information on how we can help you, or with any other question you may have, feel free to contact our office at 800-373-8000.