Ocala Drug Trafficking Lawyer
A drug trafficking conviction could put you behind bars for decades and cost you your family, finances, and freedom.
An arrest is a scary experience; however, it is important to remember that an arrest is not a conviction. You have the right to legal representation—and to enlist a professional with decades of experience defending people in your situation.
An Ocala drug trafficking lawyer from the Meldon Law team will take on your fight like it was our own. Call us today to see how we can help you: (352) 373-8000.
How Can an Ocala Drug Trafficking Lawyer Help You?
Florida is notorious for the harsh stance its criminal justice system takes on drug trafficking. Prosecutors view drug traffickers as threats to the community at large and aggressively pursue cases against them. This is why it’s so important to have a criminal defense attorney from Meldon Law in your corner.
Our Ocala Drug Defense Team CARES
It’s one thing to have a drug trafficking attorney go through the motions, but it’s another thing entirely to have a drug trafficking lawyer who genuinely cares. Meldon Law prides itself on the personal commitment our attorneys make to every client they represent. When we say Meldon Law CARES, it means you will get an attorney who brings the following attributes to the table or you:
S– Success Driven
You are not just a case file to us. You are a member of our community in need, and we believe in helping the communities we serve.
We Aren’t Afraid of a Fight
We have a simple motto at our law firm which is “Won’t Back Down.” Our drug trafficking lawyers are not afraid to defend our clients against even the toughest prosecutors.
We will defend you in court like you are a member of our own family. Our team will not leave a single stone unturned in building the strongest defense possible against the charges you’re facing. We can’t guarantee the results of a criminal trial, but we can guarantee that we will work to the very best of our ability to give you the best opportunity at an acquittal or a case dismissal.
When you have a lawyer who is relentless, that means we will explore every avenue in fighting your case. We want you to preserve your freedom, and we know how to fight for it effectively. You deserve an attorney who will do everything they can to help you remain free, even if that means facing down Florida’s toughest prosecutors or judges.
Defenses We Can Bring Against Drug Trafficking Charges
We only need to raise reasonable doubt in the mind of one juror to get a positive result in court. This is easier said than done, but there are numerous potential defenses against Marion County drug charges.
We examine the prosecution’s case against you in minute detail, and look for evidence of any of the following:
- Entrapment: If you were lured or harassed into participating in a transaction by an undercover police officer or a cooperating witness, we may be able to argue you were entrapped into committing a crime. This may be grounds for acquittal.
- Innocence: Sometimes people are charged with drug trafficking or conspiracy to traffic drugs even when they were not in possession of any narcotics. If the state is alleging you were the ringleader, but you had no drugs on you at the time of arrest, or weren’t directly involved in the transaction, we may be able to argue you are innocent of the charges.
- Police misconduct: Law enforcement officers are not infallible, and sometimes their focus on getting convictions leads them to take shortcuts, such as falsifying information on warrant applications. If we find evidence of this, it could result in a mistrial or case dismissal.
- Errors by police or prosecutors: Public servants are not perfect, and many drug cases rely on warrants or other important paperwork. If we can show that mistakes were made with the chain of custody, or that the police lacked probable cause to obtain a warrant, we can use that in your favor at trial and move for a dismissal on procedural grounds.
Many drug trafficking cases are complex and rely on a network of informants and police information to secure warrants or build their case. Our criminal defense lawyers know where and how to attack a prosecution’s case. We can help with possession and trafficking cases involving both prescription drugs and illegal drugs.
Florida’s Drug Crime Laws Are Harsh
Florida has strict drug laws because it is a prime location for drug trafficking. The state’s well-developed transportation infrastructure makes it ideal for people to bring drugs and other illegal products in and out of the United States.
You Face Decades in Prison If Convicted of Drug Trafficking
Drug trafficking sentences are severe, with many offenses coming with mandatory minimum sentences. Trafficking charges are based on the type of drug and the amount. Per Florida Statute § 893.135:
- Possessing or selling more than 28 grams of cocaine is charged as drug trafficking. The mandatory minimum sentence is three years in prison and a fine of $50,000.
- Possession of at least 25 pounds of marijuana/300 cannabis plants is evidence of drug trafficking. The mandatory minimum sentence is three years in prison and a fine of at least $25,000. Higher quantities mean more severe penalties.
Prison time and fines are not where the penalties stop. You will also have a criminal record and be considered a convicted felon. This comes with other long-term consequences. You may be unable to vote, own a gun, or hold office. It can also be hard to get a job or find housing.
However, you may have options for lesser penalties.
Potential Penalties for Drug Possession
In some cases, we may be able to convince prosecutors to charge you with drug possession instead of trafficking. These potential penalties are significantly less severe. Examples of penalties include:
- Possession of more than 20 grams of marijuana is a felony that can lead to five years in prison and up to $5,000 in fines.
- Possessing more than 10 grams of heroin is charged as a first-degree felony. Penalties may include up to 30 years in prison and a fine of $10,000.
Having drug-related paraphernalia in your possession can elevate charges even further. Needles, syringes, scales, and pipes can increase penalties. Our team can help you determine what penalties you face.
See How an Ocala Drug Trafficking Lawyer Can Protect Your Freedom Today
Drug trafficking charges come with harsh repercussions. You don’t want to pay thousands of dollars or live a large part of your life in prison. If you’ve been arrested in Ocala or elsewhere in Marion County for drug trafficking, you are at a turning point in your life. You can’t afford to lose, which means you need to give yourself the best possible chance to win. However, we can’t help you unless you reach out to us first.
Meldon Law offers free case evaluations for people in your situation. Believe it or not, there is hope, and we are ready to fight for you. Contact our team today and find out how Meldon Law can help preserve your freedom and your reputation. Remember, we CARE about you!
Reduce your penalties. Call our office at (352) 373-8000 to speak with one of our Ocala drug trafficking attorneys.