Standing Up for the Victims of Accidental Injuries in South Florida
There is no lack of activity and entertainment in Ft. Lauderdale for residents and visitors alike. People flock to the city and surrounding areas to hit the beach, head out on a boat, visit the numerous restaurants and shopping areas, and much more. Everywhere you turn, people are walking, riding bicycles or motorcycles, engaging in watersports, and checking into hotels or resorts. A significant amount of traffic drives on the roads in Ft. Lauderdale at almost any hour of the day or night.
All of this activity does not come without risks, however. People suffer injuries in a variety of accidents in south Florida every single day—and in many cases, these accidents take place because of someone’s negligence. Florida law allows accident victims to seek financial recovery from any negligent parties that caused an accident, but this is not a simple process. You need a qualified personal injury law firm on your side to protect your rights as an injury victim.
At Meldon Law, we know the many concerns that accident victims will face. You are probably wondering how to cover your piles of medical bills or even your basic expenses if you have to miss work due to your injuries. We are here to help you obtain the compensation you deserve and handle all aspects of the legal process so you can focus on your health and recovery. Please call Meldon Law to discuss your accident and injuries today.
Ft. Lauderdale Motor Vehicle Accidents
All motor vehicles come with the risk of accidents and injuries. Many different crashes can occur in Ft. Lauderdale, including:
Any type of vehicle accident has the potential to cause serious injuries. Crash victims can suffer traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, broken bones, soft tissue injuries, and many more. Many vehicle accident victims require medical attention, and even a single visit to the emergency department can result in surprisingly steep bills. More serious injuries may require hospitalizations, surgeries, and other costly treatments. Medical bills alone can overwhelm patients following a traffic accident.
In Florida, injured car accident victims must first seek compensation from their own no-fault personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. These claims, however, are anything but simple, and even your own insurance company will often try to settle a claim for less than you deserve. The motor vehicle accident attorneys at Meldon Law know how to handle these claims on your behalf to ensure you receive a proper settlement, as well as to identify when you have the right to seek additional legal recourse.
If any type of car or truck accident injured you in the Ft. Lauderdale area, please do not wait to call our office for a free case evaluation today.
Premises Liability Claims
Not all personal injuries take place on the road or on a boat, however. You may visit a grocery store or go to work and end up with a life-changing injury because of someone else’s negligence. Injured accident victims can file claims for premises liability against negligent businesses or property owners. Premises liability claims may include:
- Slips and falls
- Falls from high places
- Dog bites
- Hotel and resort injuries
- Swimming pool accidents
Property owners have the legal duty to keep their premises in reasonably safe conditions for customers and other lawful visitors. When they fail to do, serious accidents and injuries can result—and you may hold the owners liable.
After a slip and fall, dog attack, or other accident, you can often file a claim with the property or business owner’s insurance company. Hire legal representation before entering this process, because insurance companies will almost certainly offer you an inadequate settlement at first. If you unknowingly accept an insufficient settlement, you will lose the right to seek additional compensation in the future once you realize the extent of your losses. An attorney at Meldon Law will review all settlements before acceptance and will advise you whether you should negotiate for a higher settlement or even file a premises liability lawsuit in civil court.
Medical Malpractice Assistance
We rely on medical professionals to diagnose and treat medical conditions, and we trust that they will provide adequate care. However, many doctors and others in the medical field make mistakes that fall below the required standard of care. In such cases, patients can suffer serious injuries and can require significant—and otherwise unnecessary—treatments.
Many types of medical malpractice that regularly take place in the Ft. Lauderdale area include:
- Surgical errors
- Diagnosis errors
- Mistakes involving prescriptions or medications
- Birth injuries
- Hospital-acquired infections
Determining whether a medical mistake constituted malpractice requires complex legal analysis. You need a law firm handling your case with the resources to investigate how your injuries took place and prove the negligence of a medical professional. Doctors, hospitals, and their respective insurance companies all have many tools to fight liability, so you need a zealous advocate for your rights. Meldon Law knows how to protect your rights as an injured patient, so please call today and allow us to begin working on your case.
Personal Injury Frequently Asked Questions FAQs
Those individuals that have been in an accident as a result of someone else’s wrongdoing or negligence may be facing substantial pain and significant medical expenses. What’s worse, frequently these individuals do not know whether they are entitled to any damages for the injuries they sustained or what steps they need to take to protect their rights.
Even though each person’s situation and injury is different, Meldon Law wants to help you get the answers you need. To help get you started, we have prepared some Frequently Asked Questions and Answers that we commonly receive in the area of personal injury. However, if you are in Fort Lauderdale and would like to discuss your individual case in more detail, contact us today.
What is personal injury law?
If you have been injured in an accident, whether it was due to an intentional act, negligence, or strict liability, you may be entitled to compensation. However, first, you need to prove liability and damages. Personal injury law has two fundamental issues: was the defendant liable for the damages that the victim sustained, and what was the extent and nature of the damages?
Personal injury claims can involve:
- Car accidents
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Product liability
- Premises liability
- Medical malpractice
- Workplace injuries
- Spinal cord and brain injuries
- Pharmaceutical negligence
- Wrongful death
- Toxic torts
What do I do after an accident?
The first thing you need to after you suffer an injury due to an accident is to get the medical attention that you need. If emergency medical attention does not need to be taken immediately, then there are certain things you should obtain from the scene of the accident that can help your case if you decide to pursue a lawsuit.
- Take photos or videos of the whole accident scene.
- Take witness statements and contact information of any bystanders.
- Do not apologize or admit fault to anyone involved. Anything you say after the accident can potentially be used against you if you decide to file a claim.
- Contact an attorney to discuss all of your options and whether or not you have a viable claim. The attorney will be able to let you know who you will be able to sue and potentially how much you can recover based on the specific situation and the laws of the state.
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim?
The length of time you have to file a lawsuit after your injury depends on the statute of limitations in your state. Under the statute of limitations laws in Florida, you have four years to file a lawsuit for personal injury cases, from the date of the accident. However, for practical matters, it is best to try and pursue a claim as soon as you can. This will ensure the evidence is still fresh, which can better help you prove liability and the scope of your damages.
What damages are available to me?
In personal injury claims, the damages are known as compensatory damages, which are divided into non-economic damages and economic damages. In some cases where the defendant acted egregiously, there may be punitive damages that can be awarded. Each personal injury case is different, and damages are dependent on many factors, including the extent of the injuries, the emotional suffering involved, the degree of the disability, the degree of the pain, and the length of time that the injury will affect your life.
However, damages can include:
- Economic damages: These damages are based on relatively objective costs and losses, including lost income and earning capacity, medical bills, property damage, out of pocket expenses (including transportation charges, house cleaning, etc.), and future treatment costs.
- Non-economic damages: These damages are more subjective and include items such as pain and suffering, disfigurement, loss of life enjoyment, loss of love and affection, emotional trauma, and mental anguish.
- Punitive damages: These damages are rarely awarded; however, they can be substantial. Punitive damages do have constitutional limits to them that determine how much these damages can exceed the compensatory damages.
Do I need a personal injury lawyer?
Yes. Most personal injury cases can be extremely complicated. Yet, people that have been in an accident sometimes still wonder if they need a personal injury lawyer working on their behalf.
Because a personal injury lawsuit requires a thorough knowledge of the legal system, individuals are usually unwise to pursue their personal injury lawsuit without a lawyer; especially, in the following circumstances:
- Those that suffer severe injuries: Those that suffer severe injuries in an accident need specialized legal assistance to help them obtain all the financial support they can get to ensure they will have help well in the future. An experienced personal injury lawyer will not only help these individuals calculate how much their damages are worth, but they will help them pursue all the available forms of compensation for their losses and injuries they sustained.
- Issues with insurance companies: After certain accidents, individuals have experienced issues with insurance companies refusing to settle in good-faith, causing the individual to have a lot of problems obtaining the settlement they deserve. In these situations, an experienced personal injury lawyer who is well versed in insurance tactics should be working for you and dealing with these insurance companies directly. This will ensure you have someone on your side trying to get you the compensation that you are entitled to.
- Multiple parties: In situations where there are numerous parties involved, it is imperative to contact a personal injury attorney because of the complexities that arise from these types of accidents. One of the most significant issues with multiple party accidents is that there may not be enough settlement money to go around for all parties involved. In addition, you may be facing counterclaims that have been filed against you by the other individuals in the accident. That is why in these situations you must get the legal protections and the legal help that you need.
Can I call a lawyer now?
Yes. If you were in an accident or experiencing any of the scenarios discussed above, you need to contact one of our experienced personal injury lawyers right away. The team at Meldon Law understands how important the decision of hiring a reputable attorney is for you and your case. That is why we are here to make sure injured Floridians retain counsel that will protect your best interests not only during settlement negotiations but in the courtroom if a lawsuit is necessary. If you have been in an accident or suffered a personal injury, strongly consider speaking with a personal injury attorney NOW.
Call Our Ft. Lauderdale Personal Injury Attorneys Today to Schedule a Free Consultation
Accidents and injuries can take place when you least expect it and can completely change your life. The last concern you should have is how to pay for your medical care or take the time off work needed for your recovery. The sooner you call the Ft. Lauderdale personal injury lawyers at Meldon Law, the sooner we can begin helping you find financial and legal relief.
Our firm handles a wide range of personal injury cases and will guide you through every step of the legal process. To schedule a free consultation to discuss your injuries and learn more about our legal services, contact us online or call 800-373-8000 today.
“Mr. Meldon and Stefany were beyond what I could have expected for a team to help me through my accident and settlement process. They are extremely knowledgeable about every part following an accident from the legal, medical and personal aspect…. Their knowledge, expertise and compassion make them a great choice for anyone who is going through this horrible experience of getting into an accident. I would work with them again without questions and suggest them to any friend.”
Rating: 5/5 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Read more reviews on Google!
Founder of the Meldon Law FirmEmail Jeffrey Meldon