Florida Slip & Fall Attorneys
Protecting Florida’s Slip & Fall Accident Victims
A slip and fall accident happens fast but results in what can be lifelong injuries for you or your loved ones. The sudden shock of losing your balance and striking a hard surface leaves you no time to prevent the impact, and falling in a poorly lit parking lot or tripping over a cord can result in a life-altering injury.
If you’ve experienced serious injuries from a slip and fall accident due to someone else’s negligence, contact the Florida slip & fall attorneys at Meldon Law as soon as possible.
Common Causes of Slip & Fall Accidents
No one expects a visit to the mall to turn tragic due to a wet spot on a floor or a malfunctioning escalator. Instead, what mall patrons expect is that property owners ensure that their property is safe. Unfortunately, many businesses and property owners neglect improving safety hazards, whether due to expense, laziness, or overall property neglect.
Common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Wet floors
- Stairs with no handrails
- Cords across floors
- Inadequate indoor or outdoor lighting
- Torn carpet
Experiencing a slip and fall can leave you feeling dazed and confused. If possible, take pictures and collect the contact information of witnesses. Should your injuries prevent you from doing so, ask a witness to help you. Having the awareness to gather this information is crucial for a successful claim.
A slip and fall accident can bring life, as you know it, to an immediate halt. Your plans are now replaced with worry and stress over your medical bills and lost wages. No one should have to worry about out-of-pocket costs due to the negligence of someone else.
Do not speak with the property owner, no matter how friendly they appear at the time. Seek immediate medical attention, then secure the services of our expert Meldon Law personal injury attorneys familiar with Florida law as soon as possible.
Types of Possible Injuries
A serious fall can result in sudden and devastating injuries. Many injuries associated with a fall require a long recovery, resulting in an extensive list of medical expenses. The full impact of a fall down steps or from a wet floor can result in one or more of the following injuries:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI) – According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), falls are the leading cause of traumatic brain injuries. A severe TBI patient may need to relearn basic skills, while others require around-the-clock care, making a skilled living facility necessary. This type of care is costly, with average costs ranging from $8,000 to $9,000 per month.
- Spinal cord injury (SCI) – The spinal cord serves an essential function in communicating messages with the brain. When damaged, messages regarding movement and sensation become disrupted, resulting in limited mobility and paralysis. The costs associated with a spinal cord injury can easily reach millions of dollars throughout a patient’s lifetime.
- Broken bones – A slip and fall accident often results in one or more broken bones. A severe break of an arm or leg can limit your mobility and make daily tasks almost impossible without assistance. Future surgeries and extensive physical therapy make the recovery process long and difficult.
- Neck and back injuries – Neck and back injuries are a real possibility during a fall. Breaking your back and spraining your neck are serious injuries that can prevent you from ever fully recovering, returning to the career you enjoyed before your accident or engaging in the activities that you enjoyed before your accident.
- Internal injuries – Internal injuries are especially dangerous due to little or no warning signs. Only a medical professional using proper testing can diagnosis injuries such as internal bleeding or organ damage. These types of injuries are why it is imperative to seek medical attention immediately following a fall—even if you initially feel fine.
A serious injury leaves you in no position to handle your case alone. Navigating state law and negotiating with insurance companies is best left to a legal professional. Your financial future is too important to leave to chance. If you or a loved one are seriously injured in a slip and fall due to a property owner’s negligence, contact Meldon Law as soon as possible.
The Florida Slip & Fall Attorneys at Meldon Law are Here to Help
Insurance companies like to settle cases quickly. Company representatives often present an initial settlement offer soon after an accident. While these initial offers may seem like large sums, they are typically not enough to cover future medical needs or future lost wages.
By making these initial low-ball offers, the insurance company protects its best interest by offering as little money as possible. To protect your best interests, don’t speak with any insurance companies. Instead, contact the Florida slip & fall attorneys at Meldon Law to schedule a free case evaluation. Should we decide to move forward with your claim, we won’t settle until we secured fair compensation for you.
When it comes to personal injury cases, time is not on your side. State law limits the amount of time allowed to pursue a personal injury claim. Due to the scope of work involved in interviewing witnesses and collecting evidence, it is essential to consult with an attorney immediately. The sooner we get to work for you, the closer you’ll be to receiving compensation.