Slips And Falls In The Winter
When it comes to winter climate, Florida is like no other state. Even in the winter, parts of the state can reach 70 degrees or so. However, in some parts of Florida, rain or frost is possible during the winter months. Therefore, it is important to know what to do to avoid slips and falls as we change seasons, regardless of where you live.
How can you stay safe during the winter and other times of the year? Here are some tips to prevent slips and falls in Florida and anywhere else in the country.
Slip and Fall Safety Tips
Here’s how to stay safe when walking around in the winter:
- Be careful on sidewalks and streets. Rain and ice can cause slippery conditions. Walk slowly, take smaller steps, and pay attention, especially if you’re unsure about the conditions.
- Be careful indoors. If you’re inside a place of business, it’s not uncommon for you and others to track in ice and water from the outdoors. Be careful when entering stores, as entrances are where puddles tend to be. Use a mat, if possible, to avoid tracking in water.
- Be careful on stairs. If you have to climb or go down stairs, use handrails and go slow. The steps can accumulate ice and water, making them extra slippery and unsafe.
- Be careful when exiting your vehicle. Slips and falls can happen when getting out of a car. Swing both legs out and put both feet on the ground before getting out. This gives you extra stability in case the area is a little slick.
- Keep your hands free. Avoid carrying objects while walking in wintry conditions. Use a purse or backpack or place items in your pockets. By keeping your hands free, you can keep yourself stable and even prevent falls.
- Wear the right footwear. High heels and sandals just don’t cut it in the winter. They provide no traction and will make you slip and fall quite easily. Opt for boots and shoes with rubber soles and a good grip. Avoid leather or plastic soles. Also make sure your shoes fit properly.
- Give yourself extra time. Slips and falls often happen when someone is in a hurry. Therefore, take your time when traveling in wintry conditions. Leave early so you have extra time to get to work and appointments. You don’t want to be in a rush and end up slipping on an icy sidewalk.
Contact Us Today
Slips and falls can happen anywhere and at any time of the year. These accidents can cause head trauma, broken bones, and other debilitating injuries.
If your slip and fall occurred at a place of business or another person’s home, you may be able to file a claim for compensation. Let the Florida slip and fall attorneys at Meldon Law assess your case and help you obtain compensation. To schedule a free consultation today, call (800) 373-8000 or fill out the online form. We have three offices to serve you: Gainesville, Ocala, and Fort Lauderdale.