Belleview Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
When an accident involves a motorcycle, people often assume the rider was at fault. However, if you are one of the countless motorcycle riders who is injured by driver negligence in Florida each year, you know that’s not the case. The truth is, careless drivers are responsible for many of these incidents, and when they are, they can be held accountable through a civil claim.
The Belleview motorcycle accident lawyers at Meldon Law are committed to fighting for justice for injured riders. We understand what motorcyclists go through on the road to justice. We won’t back down when it comes to seeking compensation for you.
How Much You Can Get in a Belleview Motorcycle Accident Claim
Online compensation calculators can be fun to try, but they are not going to give you an accurate estimate of your motorcycle accident claim’s value. The only way you can find out how much your motorcycle accident case may be worth is to have a lawyer examine your evidence and the facts of the accident.
Motorcycle accidents can settle for more than your average car accident claim because of the severity of the injuries involved. In one case, we were able to get a $1,450,000 settlement for a woman who was hit by a car while riding a motorcycle, resulting in her leg being amputated below the knee.
How much is your motorcycle accident claim worth? Schedule a consultation with us so we can begin the process. Once we have reviewed your evidence, we can give you an estimate of your potential compensation.
What Damages Can You Claim in a Motorcycle Accident Lawsuit?
Motorcyclists who are seriously harmed by negligent drivers can recover compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Lost income now and future reduced earning potential
- Pain and suffering and emotional trauma
- Punitive damages in cases of recklessness
If you lost a loved one in a fatal motorcycle accident, we can help you file a wrongful death claim to seek justice and compensation for your losses.
Our Florida motorcycle accident attorneys have a proven record of outstanding lawsuit results for injured motorcyclists in Belleview and throughout the state. Whether during settlement negotiations or at trial, we will fight for your full financial recovery.
Why Are Motorcycle Accidents So Dangerous?
An automobile has a frame that’s designed to protect passengers from the impact caused by a collision. But when you’re a motorcyclist who is struck by another vehicle or if you are forced to lay down your bike, you will only have your helmet and other safety gear to protect you. And that is simply not enough to keep you safe when you are a motorcycle rider in Florida.
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) Traffic Safety Facts report, in 2020, Florida had the highest number of motorcycle accident fatalities. According to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department (FLHSMV), the motorcycle crash fatality rate increased over 12 percent between 2020 and 2021.
Motorcycle riders suffer from injuries like road rash, amputations, paralysis ,and biker’s arm, which causes nerve damage that results in a loss of feeling and arm movement. From severe burns to broken bones, motorcycle accidents can result in catastrophic injuries that can change – or end – your life in an instant.
How Long Does a Motorcycle Accident Claim Take to Settle?
There is no single timeline for settling motorcycle accident claims. The duration of your case will depend on many factors. Keep these in mind during the settlement process:
- In cases with more serious injuries, it will take longer to assess the short- and long-term damages.
- Cases that settle pre-trial generally resolve faster than those that go to court.
- Controversy over who was at fault will lengthen the process.
- Additional negligent parties will extend negotiations and research.
- How reasonable insurers are about settling will impact the timing of your claim.
- If you are filing a claim against a government entity, it will have tighter deadlines than claims against private entities.
How Florida’s Fault Laws Can Affect Your Belleview Motorcycle Accident Claim
Florida is a no-fault state. Typically, the injured person would turn to their Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage for medical bills and lost wage coverage. However, PIP does not apply to motorcyclists in Florida.
Instead, they can file a claim against the driver who caused their accident. Florida law makes this complex. An attorney can help you understand the process and handle all aspects of your claim.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim After a Fatal Motorcycle Accident in Florida?
If you have lost a loved one in a fatal motorcycle accident, please accept our sincere condolences. Our team would be honored to help you seek justice for your loved one and fight for the compensation you need to make ends meet. Under Florida’s wrongful death statute, a personal representative can pursue compensation on behalf of the following family members of the deceased:
- The deceased’s surviving spouse. A lawful wife or husband is typically entitled to recover compensation for lost support and services, loss of companionship, and pain and suffering.
- Children of the deceased: Biological and adopted children may be able to recover compensation for lost parental companionship, instruction, and guidance and pain and suffering.
- Parents of the deceased: Parents of a minor child can recover pain and suffering.
- The personal representative or administrator of the deceased’s estate: This personal representative can recover compensation for loss of earnings, medical bills, and funeral expenses.
A Florida wrongful death lawyer can help you file a wrongful death claim within the statute of limitations.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for Florida Motorcycle Accident Claims?
Due to recent changes in Florida’s statute of limitation signed into law by Governor Ron DeSantis in March 2023, you now have half as much time to seek compensation after a motorcycle accident than you did prior to this change.
Prior to the change in Florida’s statute of limitations, injured people had four years to file a claim after a motorcycle crash. Now, that has been cut to two years. This means more than ever before, it is important to see a lawyer as soon as possible after a wreck. Your right to compensation depends how quickly you act.
Types of Motorcycle Accidents Our Lawyers Represent in Belleview
There are many causes of motorcycle accidents in Florida. Driver negligence, such as violating right of way, improper turning, and distracted driving, is the biggest cause of motorcycle accidents.
Some of the most common types our Belleview motorcycle accident lawyers handle include:
- Dooring: Parked drivers can cause collisions by opening doors without checking for oncoming motorcyclists.
- Head-on collisions: Distracted drivers drifting into oncoming lanes can hit bikers head-on, often fatally.
- Speeding: Excess speed reduces reaction times and control, increasing the risk of motorcycle accidents.
- Impaired driving: Intoxicated driving greatly diminishes coordination and judgment.
- Reckless driving: When drivers weave, tailgate, and ignore traffic signals, it endangers motorcyclists.
- Mechanical issues: Tire blowouts, brake failures, and other equipment issues caused by a failure to maintain a vehicle can lead to wrecks.
- Failure to check: Drivers might claim they “didn’t see” the motorcycle after a collision.
- Left-hand turn: Drivers can hit motorcyclists by improperly turning left and failing to yield right of way.
- Rear-end accidents: Tailgating drivers lack stopping distance and can rear-end motorcyclists, causing ejections.
- T-bone accidents: Violating traffic signals leads to dangerous broadside collisions in intersections.
Understanding these common accident causes allows injury victims to identify liable parties and pursue rightful compensation through legal action.
When Should A Motorcycle Accident Victim Seek Help in Belleview?
You can follow Florida’s motorcycle laws and motorcycle safety tips and still end up injured through no fault of your own. If this has happened to you or a loved one, you may be wondering if it’s time to call a Belleviewpersonal injury lawyer for help with your motorcycle accident claim?
You should contact a motorcycle accident lawyer in Belleview as soon as possible after a wreck. The sooner we can get to work on your claim, the more evidence we will be able to preserve. Over time, witness memories can fade and evidence can degrade. For the strongest case, the sooner you reach out to an attorney, the better.
Get a Free Consultation With a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Belleview, Florida
If you or a loved one suffered harm in a Florida motorcycle collision caused by a negligent driver, our attorneys are offering free case evaluations. During a consultation, here’s how we can start helping:
- Listen to your story and review any evidence like police reports to gain an understanding of the accident
- Assess potential liability and negligence of the at-fault parties
- Explain your rights under Florida personal injury law and your options
- Provide guidance on next steps to preserve your ability to recover damages
- Answer any questions you have about the claims process
- Discuss representation if you choose to hire us to handle your injury claim
Do not go it alone against insurance companies – level the playing field with legal help. Contact our team to discuss your potential motorcycle accident case. Our goal is to get you the compensation you need so you can move forward.