What Should I Do After an Auto Accident? A Top Gainesville Accident Attorney, Jeffrey Meldon, Gives His Recommendations and Tips.
When you leave your home to run a quick errand or go to work, most likely, the last thing on your mind is the risk of an auto accident and how it could suddenly affect the rest of your life. However, every day hundreds and hundreds of people are injured in Florida traffic crashes. Nobody plans for a motor vehicle accident to happen, but once it does it is extremely important to be prepared and know how to deal with it and what you should and shouldn’t do.
As a top and experienced Gainesville accident lawyer, here are my Tips and Recommendations on what to do if you are in an auto accident.
There are many important Do’s and Don’ts that you should follow immediately after an accident and in the weeks following an accident.
Immediately after an accident:
- Do: Call the police and report the accident immediately so they can conduct an initial investigation and interviewing of witnesses. You should also record the names and address of all witness and drivers yourself. Take pictures of the scene, vehicles and any injuries. (again, a picture is worth a thousand words) Wait for the paramedics to arrive so they can examine you. Seek medical care ASAP. Notify your insurance company.
- Do not: Talk with the other person’s insurance company or sign any insurance company documents, papers, or medical authorizations without first consulting a personal injury lawyer/ accident attorney.
Within the next few weeks after an accident with injuries:
- Do: Seek follow up medical care with a doctor who has experience in treating accident injuries and follow their advice. Keep track of all medical appointments, procedures, and treatments, it is best to make and keep an updated file. Consult an experienced personal injury lawyer and be honest about your accident and injuries.
- Do Not: Exaggerate or minimize the extent of your injuries to your doctor or lawyer; stop medical treatment too soon or miss appointments; sign anything without consulting your attorney.
- Beware: The insurance companies and adjusters are not on your side and you are not on a level playing field with them. They may be nice and friendly but they only have one goal in mind and that is to make money for their company and they use many tactics to accomplish this. Don’t let the insurance companies take advantage of you! Read my library article about common insurance companies’ tactics.
Also, Beware, It is important to know that many people, who are injured in an accident, think that their injury is only minor and temporary and that they will be fine in a couple of weeks, and therefore, don’t proceed to seek medical or legal assistance only to regret it down the road. Many times however, these seemingly minor injury cases turn out to be permanent and require major surgery. This is very common for head, neck and back injuries.
Feel free to give me a call, 800-373-8000 or contact us, if you have any questions. We are dedicated to helping people get the justice they deserve and protecting them from being taken advantage of by the powerful insurance companies. We are her to help you! Consultations are always free.
We are expert accident lawyers, personal injury attorneys, located in Gainesville, Florida and have been representing car and auto vehicle accident victims in the North Florida area, including Ocala, Inverness, Lake City, Daytona Beach, Dunnellon, Palatka, The Villages, and the counties of Alachua, Marion, Columbia, Citrus, Volusia, Sumter, and Putnam since 1971.
To find out more about Jeffrey Meldon & Associates you can visit this webpage.
Hello, I am Jeffrey Meldon. As an accident attorney, I strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
My Office and Associates are located in Gainesville, Florida. We are Personal Injury Attorneys (Accident Lawyers). I take pride in my work and the results that I and my experienced team of Associates and Staff get for our clients.
Everyone in my Office works hard to help accident victims get the justice and the fair settlement or jury verdict that they deserve throughout the North and Central Florida area including: Ocala, Marion County, Alachua County, Lake City, Citrus County, Daytona Beach, and Inverness. I am highly involved with every case in my office and am the negotiator with insurance companies.
You can feel free to give me a call at 800-373-8000 or contact my office, with any questions you may have, or to discuss your unique case.
Consultations and Case Evaluations are always Free.