Lake City Taxi Accident Attorneys
With little public transportation in Lake City, taxis are still a very convenient form of transportation for those that live here. Sadly, taxi drivers are not immune from being involved in an accident and when they are, the aftermath is even more confusing. There are many different parties involved, making it difficult for accident victims to know who to hold liable for paying damages.
Taxi accidents also result in serious injuries that leave you with high medical bills, and without an income to pay for them if you cannot return to work. A Lake City taxi accident attorney will determine who was at fault for your crash, and help you claim the fair settlement you deserve.
Common Causes of Taxi Accidents
Taxi accidents are often caused by the same negligent behaviors that cause other crashes on the road. These include distracted driving, drunk driving, speeding, and more. However, taxis are unique because there are many other common causes of these crashes. These may include:
- Taxis that are not regularly maintained and so, are not in proper working condition
- Inexperienced drivers, or drivers that do not have a clean driving record
- Non-compliance with safety laws and regulations
- Failure to warn passengers of defective taxi parts, such as a broken seat belt
These causes are unique to taxis, and they also pose distinct challenges when trying to determine liability for a taxi accident.
Determining Fault for Taxi Accidents
Occupants inside a taxi may think there are very few parties involved in a crash but truthfully, there are many. Liability, or fault, can lie with many parties, and they are as follows:
- Taxi drivers: Taxi drivers can act negligently, just like any other driver. They may drive while impaired or distracted, speed, or fail to obey traffic law.
- Taxi companies: The companies that own the taxis and hire drivers must ensure they provide proper training and that they only hire experienced drivers. These companies must also ensure their vehicles are in good working condition. If they fail in any of these duties, they can be held liable.
- Manufacturers: Manufacturers have a legal duty to ensure the products they make are not defective or faulty. If a defective part, such as the braking system, causes a crash, the manufacturer could be held liable.
- Inspection and maintenance companies: It is not uncommon for taxi companies to outsource the inspection and maintenance of their taxis. Any third party responsible for inspecting and maintaining taxis must do so properly in order to avoid being found liable for a crash.
- Government entities: Just like in other motor vehicle accidents, if an improper road condition caused a crash, the government entity responsible for maintaining that roadway can be held liable.
Call Our Lake City Taxi Accidents Attorney in Lake City for a Free Consultation
Taxi accidents cause serious injuries, and the aftermath is often difficult and chaotic for victims. Whether you were a passenger in a taxi or another driver, our Lake City taxi accidents attorney at Meldon Law can advise on your case. Call us now at 800-373-8000 or fill out our online form to request a free consultation.