Lake City Bus Accident Attorneys
Lake City once had an Amtrak station, but service was suspended in 2005 after Hurricane Katrina. Still, today residents and visitors in Lake City use other buses, such as Greyhound, to get around to other parts of the state. Unfortunately, these trips do not always go smoothly. Distracted driving, impaired driving, speeding, and more can easily result in a bus crash. While accident victims do have the right to claim compensation for their injuries after these collisions, the process is not easy. A Lake City bus accident attorney can determine which party is liable and help you claim the fair settlement you deserve.
Determining Liability After Bus Accidents
The aftermath of a bus accident is complex, and that extends to filing your claim. Before filing a claim for compensation, you must determine which party is liable so you can hold them accountable for paying damages. You may assume the bus driver is responsible for the crash, and that is normal. However, there are other parties that could be at fault for a crash, too. They include:
- Bus drivers: While it is not always the case, bus drivers are sometimes responsible for causing an accident. When they do not comply with posted speed limits, violate other traffic laws, or act carelessly behind the wheel, bus drivers can be held liable for a crash.
- Bus companies: Bus companies have a legal obligation to hire only experienced and competent drivers, and to ensure their vehicles are always properly inspected and maintained. When they fail to meet these obligations, they can be held liable for a crash.
- Maintenance companies: It is not uncommon for bus companies to hire a third party company to inspect and maintain their vehicles. These companies are responsible for making sure they inspect and maintain the bus properly so improper maintenance does not cause an accident.
- Manufacturers: Manufacturers have a legal duty to ensure any parts they produce for a bus are in good working condition and that they are not defective.
- School districts: School buses are a common sight on Lake City’s roads and the school districts are typically responsible for ensuring they hire trained and experienced drivers, and for making sure their vehicles are properly maintained.
- Other drivers: Other drivers may act negligently by making improper lane changes, tailgating a bus, or otherwise acting carelessly.
Determining what caused a bus accident is not always easy. A Lake City bus accidents lawyer will know how to determine liability so you can file a claim against them for damages.
Evidence in Bus Accident Claims
When filing a claim after a bus accident, it is important to have strong evidence that backs up your claim. Some of the most crucial evidence in bus accidents claims is as follows:
- The police report
- Photos from the accident scene
- Toxicology reports
- Medical records
- Expert testimony
- Eyewitness testimony
- Cell phone records
- Records from the bus company, including driving and employment documents
A lawyer will also know what types of evidence to collect that will specifically help your case.
Our Lake City Bus Accidents Attorneys Can Handle Your Claim
If you have been hurt while on a bus, our Lake City bus accidents attorney at Meldon Law will handle every aspect of your claim while you focus on your recovery. Call us today at 800-373-8000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.