Lake City Auto Accident Attorney
Sitting at the crossroads between I-75 and I-10, Lake City is an area that sees a significant amount of motor vehicle traffic and too many auto accidents caused by careless and reckless behavior behind the wheel. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, the year 2020 saw a total of 1,372 crashes in Columbia County, with many of those collisions happening in and around Lake City. Of those wrecks, 929 people suffered injuries and 21 were killed. If you or a loved one sustained injuries in a traffic crash in North Florida, an experienced Lake City auto accident attorney at Meldon Law can talk with you about your options for filing a claim.
Process for a Lake City Auto Accident Claim
What do you need to do if you were injured in a Lake City auto accident? You should understand the following important steps in the claims process:
- Gather as much information and material as possible at the scene of the accident, including photos from the scene and contact information for both witnesses and anyone involved in the crash;
- Have a healthcare provider evaluate you for injuries so that you have a clear medical record for your claim;
- Inform your insurance company about the accident, but wait to begin the claims process until you have hired a Lake City auto accident lawyer to assist with your case;
- Obtain legal representation, and begin working with your Lake City auto accident attorney on your auto insurance claim;
- Negotiate with the auto insurer, relying on your attorney for assistance;
- Determine if you may be eligible to file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver and, if so, move forward with an auto accident lawsuit against the responsible party.
The process for a Lake City auto accident claim will begin with an auto insurance claim through your own personal injury protection (PIP) policy since Florida is a no-fault state. Then, if you need to seek additional compensation, you may be eligible to file a lawsuit if you meet the serious injury threshold required in Florida.
Timeline for Your Lake City Auto Accident Lawsuit
If you are eligible to file a lawsuit and plan to do so, you should know that there is a four-year statute of limitations for most auto accident lawsuits under Florida law. That time window is only two years for a wrongful death lawsuit resulting from fatal injuries in an auto accident in Lake City.
Contact Our Lake City Auto Accident Lawyers
Nobody in Lake City should have to go through the terrible experience of sustaining serious injuries in a motor vehicle collision or losing a loved one because of another driver’s reckless or careless behavior. At Meldon Law, we have years of experience working with accident victims and their families, and we know how critical it is to help you get the compensation you need. One of our experienced Lake City auto accident attorneys can speak with you today about your insurance claim or your option for filing a lawsuit against the at-fault motorist. Contact Meldon Law today to speak with a lawyer about your case.