Gainesville Taxi Accident Attorney
Even with ridesharing services such as Uber and Lyft, taxis remain a convenient and safe way for people in Gainesville to get around. Unfortunately, taxis can get into an auto accident just like any other vehicle on the road and when these crashes occur, victims sustain serious injuries. The aftermath of a taxi accident is also very confusing, due to the multiple parties involved. If you have been injured as another driver on the road, or as a passenger, our Gainesville taxi accidents attorney can help you recover the financial compensation you need during this difficult time.
Our Attorney Knows the Breaches of Duty that Result in Taxi Accidents
Due to the fact that taxi drivers and companies have the safety of so many people in their hands, they have a number of responsibilities. These are as follows:
- Offer taxis that are in safe working condition and that are regularly maintained
- Hire drivers that have the necessary skills and that have good driving records
- Remain cautious at all times while driving to protect the safety of passengers
- Exercise vigilance and care when transporting passengers
- Comply with all safety laws and regulations on taxi vehicles
- Warn passengers of any dangers the driver is aware of, such as if one of the seatbelts is broken
When taxi drivers or taxi companies fail to fulfill any of the above duties, an accident is likely to occur.
Our Attorney Knows the Regulations on Taxis in Gainesville
Taxi companies are highly regulated in Florida. Under the law, these regulations include:
- All vehicles used for taxi services must be registered with the state
- All taxi companies must purchase taxi insurance
- Taxi drivers or companies are required to carry a minimum of $125,000 per person in bodily injury liability coverage, and a minimum of $250,000 per accident, as well as $50,000 in property damage liability insurance
The no-fault insurance laws in Florida do not apply to taxis. However, due to the many regulations, more and more taxi companies have started to treat taxi drivers as independent contractors instead of employees. Drivers lease the vehicle used for taxi services and are then responsible for obtaining their own taxi insurance. If the taxi driver is negligent and causes an accident, they are then also solely responsible for paying damages, and the taxi company will be shielded from claims of liability.
Our Attorney Handles Both Types of Claims Involving Taxi Accidents
Accident victims can become hurt by a taxi in one of two ways. The first is when the victim was another driver on the road and was struck by a negligent taxi driver. The second is when a passenger in the taxi becomes hurt, either due to the negligence of the taxi driver or another motorist.
If you were another motorist that was hurt, you can likely claim compensation from your own insurance company, and perhaps from the taxi driver or company, as well. If you were injured as a passenger in the taxi, you can file a claim against the negligent driver or the taxi company.
Our Gainesville Taxi Accidents Attorney Can Advise You of Your Legal Options
After a car accident, you have options for claiming compensation, and that includes when you were hurt by a taxi. At Meldon Law, our Gainesville taxi accidents attorney will examine the facts of your case, identify liable parties, and help you claim the full settlement you deserve. Call us today at 800-373-8000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.