Gainesville Boating Accident Attorney
Florida has the highest number of registered boat owners in the country, and many of them live right here in Gainesville. Boating is not just a fun recreational activity here, it is a lifestyle. Unfortunately, accidents can happen on the water just as they can occur between vehicles on the road. When these collisions occur, it often results in catastrophic injuries. If you or someone you love has been hurt, our Gainesville boating accident attorney can advise you of your legal options.
Our Attorney Can Help with Your Injuries After a Boating Accident
During a boating accident, victims can become injured in a number of ways. The most common injuries sustained are as follows:
- Drowning: The very nature of boating accidents, and the fact that they occur on the water, places boat operators and passengers at great risk of drowning.
- Spinal cord injuries: A boating accident can create large waves and wakes that cause the boat to bounce up and down. This motion can result in spinal cord injuries, particularly herniated discs.
- Brain injuries: Brain injuries occur in a variety of ways during a boating accident. If individuals become submerged underwater, it will deprive their brain of oxygen, which could result in permanent brain damage. Running engines can also expose people on the boat to carbon monoxide poisoning, or victims may be thrown against a bulkhead during the accident and sustain a brain injury.
- Lacerations: Cuts sustained during a boat accident are often very deep, particularly when they are caused by the blades of the propeller.
- Electrocution: The electrical systems on a boat can become submerged in water, causing an electrocution to occur.
The above injuries are very serious and the effects are long-lasting. A attorney can advise you of your legal options to claim compensation that can help offset the financial burden they impose.
Our Attorney Explains Your Options After a Boating Accident
If you were involved in a boating accident that was the fault of someone else, the law gives you the right to receive financial compensation for your injuries, as well as your other losses. You can file a claim against the operator of another vessel, or even the operator of your boat, if their negligence caused a crash. If your crash was caused by a defective part of the boat, you can file a claim against the manufacturer, or the maintenance or inspection company.
Filing a claim after a boating accident is rarely easy. You have to file your claim within four years of the accident and before that, you must conduct an investigation and collect evidence to prove your claim. A attorney will ensure your claim is filed properly so you recover the maximum damages you deserve.
Our Boating Accident Attorney in Gainesville Can Provide Sound Legal Advice
If you or someone you love has been injured in a boating collision, our Gainesville boating accident attorney at Meldon Law can provide the legal representation you need. Our knowledgeable attorney will advise you of your rights, and protect your best interests at all times. Call us today at 800-373-8000 or fill out our online form to schedule a free consultation.