What Should I Look for to Find the Best DUI/DWI Defense Lawyer Gainesville & Ocala, Florida?
Choosing an attorney to represent you in a DUI charge is probably the single most important decision to make after your arrest. In fact, the same care should be taken in selecting a DUI or criminal defense lawyer that you would take in selecting the best and most specialized doctor in the face of a life threatening illness. In either a medical or legal situation, it is important to choose a professional who is experienced in the specific field of practice, and is current in the latest education, defense strategies and technology. This will give you the best chance of success.
Top 21 Criteria You Should Use To Evaluating A DUI Lawyer Before Choosing Your Attorney:
- How long has he or she been a criminal defense attorney?
- How long has he or she been specializing in DUI defense?
- Does the attorney have a reputation for success in the city where you were arrested?
- Does the attorney have experience in representing DUI defendants at the DMV’s Formal Review Hearings? Do they charge more for this?
- Does the attorney know how to advise University of Florida students regarding the disciplinary proceeding conducted by Student Judicial Affairs?
- Does the attorney have a statewide reputation in DUI defense?
- Does the attorney get referrals from other attorneys throughout Florida?
- Does the attorney get referrals from prior DUI clients?
- How many DUI cases has the attorney actually tried to a jury?
- How successful has the attorney been at trial?
- How successful has the attorney been at getting excellent plea negotiations?
- Has the attorney won major pretrial issues in DUI cases?
- Does the attorney have an experienced, knowledgeable, informative, and courteous, team working with them on every case?
- Has the attorney been selected by well respected organizations to lecture on DUI defense?
- Has the attorney written any books or publications on DUI defense?
- Do you feel comfortable with the attorney?
- Does the attorney work out of a professional looking office?
- Have you researched the attorney online?
- Does the attorney belong to the Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers?
- Does the attorney belong to the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers?
- Does the attorney have a professional website that describes the important criteria listed above?
Additional Tips To Consider When Choosing An Attorney:
It is important to choose the most experienced, not the least expensive, professional when faced with potential life changing problems like a DUI arrest.
The long term cost of losing your DUI case, and being convicted of DUI in Florida, will far outweigh the short term savings of retaining the least expensive lawyer, even just in your insurance rates savings.
A law firm that is experienced in DUI defense does not have to charge the highest fee because they are working on these cases day in and day and do not have to “reinvent the wheel” on every case; they have the knowledge base, know the tactics, and have the experienced staff to know what to look for and what to do. If on the other hand, an attorney charges a very low fee, it usually means they do not expect to devote much time to the case.
Remember, the only sure way of avoiding the lifelong consequences of a DUI conviction is to not drink and drive!
However, if it is too late, do not make another mistake – hire an experienced DUI/DWI lawyer to represent you and do it ASAP, don’t wait! You can contact us today at 800-373-8000.
The experienced Trial Lawyers at Meldon Law are dedicated to preserving the rights of the accused.
Pictured above – Dan Weisman, Jeffrey Meldon, and Carey Meldon have a combined 60 years of legal experience representing people in Gainesville, Florida and Alachua County, Florida accused of DUI/DWI and other criminal charges. They wrote the DUI Guide for Alachua County – Ways to Possibly Avoid a DUI Charge or Conviction. Request your free copy today.
This free no obligation book, written by a team of experienced DUI defense criminal trial lawyers, gives insight into what a DUI charge is, ways the State can prove the charge, and possible legal defenses.
Being charged and convicted of DUI is best avoided by not drinking and driving! This book also gives information on what it takes to be over the legal limit, how alcohol affects the body, plus much, much more!