Is Bodily Injury Liability Insurance Required In Florida?
As a personal injury lawyer, accident attorney, I can tell you, insurance is of utmost importance if you are involved in a serious accident with injuries, no matter who causes the crash.
Whether Bodily Injury Liability coverage is required or not, has two main areas of discussion. Here is the info:
- Bodily Injury Liability (BI) coverage is not required to legally drive an automobile in the state of Florida. However, it can be if you have been convicted of a DUI. Under Florida Statue 324.023, Financial responsibility for bodily injury or death, you must have bodily injury insurance if you are convicted of a DUI. If you were convicted on or before October 1, 2007, the minimum requirement is $10,000 per person and $20,000 per incident. If you were convicted after October 1, 2007, the minimum required is $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident. According to the Statute you must have BI coverage for a period of 3 years after the return of your driving privileges.
- If you choose to drive without BI coverage, it is important to know that Florida has a Florida Financial Responsibility Law which requires that a person, who is at fault for an accident, must provide financial coverage of at least $10,000 per person and $20,000 per accident. Meaning, if you cause an accident which results in bodily injuries to another person(s), you must either have BI insurance or post a bond for the required amount of coverage. If this “responsibility” is not met, loss of your driving privileges can result. You will also be required to make financial arrangements to pay for any judgment against you for property damage and/or bodily injuries before you can get your driver’s license reinstated.
As an accident lawyer that has seen the devastation caused by not being adequately covered, I suggest not only having bodily injury liability but having more than the minimum to fully protect yourself and your assets. I recommend a minimum of $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident.
- Auto Insurance Coverage: Laws, Recommendations, Factors and Tips for Florida Drivers
- What is Uninsured Motorist Coverage and why do I need it?
- Four Reasons You Should Have Bodily Injury Liability Insurance Coverage
I am local accident attorney Jeffrey Meldon and I strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of and/or recovery from a serious accident. My office and I take pride in our work, and the results we get for our clients.
Meldon Law is a regional law firm that is located in Gainesville, Florida. We are personal injury lawyers, litigators and trial lawyers that have been working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years throughout North Florida and all over Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, motorcycle, ATVs, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, and dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
For more information on how we can help you, or with any other question you may have, feel free to contact our office at 800-373-8000.