Florida DUI Accident Victims Often Entitled To Punitive Damages. Gainesville Attorney Helps Explain.
A personal injury or death resulting from a DUI accident can be unimaginably traumatic.
Often, there is nothing a court can do to ‘fix’ emotional or bodily damages caused by a drunk or drugged driver, especially in the event of a wrongful death.
But, the civil justice system can help make DUI victims “whole,” awarding Compensatory Damages, for actual financial losses, such as:
- Medical expenses for past and future care;
- Lost wages, past and future;
- Pain and suffering;
- Loss of consortium, if married;
- Property damages; and
- Disfigurement, if permanently scarred.
- Punitive Damages may also be awarded, if the driver’s blood alcohol exceeded the legal limit (.08 BAC) or the driver behaved recklessly and reprehensibly. A
- Punitive Damages award may far exceed actual losses received in an accident.
- Punitives, also called Exemplary Damages, are intended to punish the wrongdoer and deter future reckless behavior.
Punitive damages are often paid directly out of the drunk driver’s pocket. More often than not, a wrongdoer’s insurance company will not reimburse for Punitives. However, if the wrongdoer is insolvent, the insurance company may be held responsible for paying punitive damages, but not without consequence-skyrocketing insurance rates.
It’s important to consult an experienced DUI/accident attorney to evaluate your case for punitive and compensatory damages, immediately after an accident. In certain circumstances, a bar owner, alcohol vendor, or an employer may also be held liable for DUI damages.
For more information:
- Are you entitled to Punitive Damages? Ocala accident attorney explains.
- Could I have a claim for Punitive Damages against my Insurance Company?
- Punitive damages in a Florida Auto Accident Case Explained By Local Attorney
We at Meldon Law strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
We are experienced personal injury attorneys, trial attorneys, negotiators, litigators, paralegals, and staff that have been proudly working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years in Gainesville, Ocala, Lake City, Inverness, and the rest of North Central Florida and North Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, and motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian accidents, dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
Based on Jeffrey Meldon’s, founder of Meldon Law, over 40 years of helping accident victims get justice and a fair shake from the insurance companies, he has written the consumer guide book, Seven Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Florida Accident Case. You can request your free, no obligation copy right now, or contact our office for your complimentary copy sent to you today.
Contact Meldon Law at 800-373-8000 immediately if you have been involved in a serious auto, truck, or motorcycle accident. We are in your community, have the experience and resources required to work towards obtaining a fair settlement for you – we are here to help you.