Ocala Tractor-Trailer Jackknife Accident Attorneys
Semi trucks can sometimes cause jackknife accidents. A jackknife occurs when the trailer of a semi truck pushes the cab to the side or all the way around. It faces backward, making it look like a pocket knife, or jackknife. Semi trucks are very large and when they jackknife, they create huge obstacles in the roadway that puts many other people at risk. Jackknifing trucks cause numerous serious accidents every year in the United States. Have you been affected? If so, contact an Ocala tractor-trailer jackknife accident attorney today to file a claim.
What Causes Jackknife Accidents?
Jackknife accidents can be caused by various factors. They include the following:
- Braking. When the truck driver brakes, the cab may slow down, but the momentum keeps the trailer moving forward, which can cause it to go sideways.
- Speeding. When a truck driver goes too fast, they can lose control. This can cause the cab and trailer to go in different directions, causing a jackknife situation.
- Road conditions. Bad weather, such as rain, ice, and snow, can create slippery conditions and cause jackknife accidents.
- Drowsiness/fatigue. Many truck drivers work long hours. Many drive for so long that they may fall asleep at the wheel. This can cause them to lose control, cause accidents, or cause jackknifing.
- Distracted driving. Not paying attention can be dangerous. Even if the distraction does not lead to an accident, it can force the driver to hit their brakes suddenly, which can lead to a jackknife accident.
- Lack of experience. Driving a semi truck is not an easy job. These vehicles are very long and often hard to control. A truck driver with limited experience may have trouble maintaining control of a semi truck, causing it to jackknife.
- Truck length. The longer the trailer, the harder it is to maintain control. If the driver is not experienced enough, a jackknife accident can easily occur.
- Cargo weight. When a semi truck is overloaded, it is harder to control. This can create conditions for jackknifing to occur.
What to Do Next
Jackknife accidents often cause catastrophic injuries. A victim can also die without prompt medical care. Because of this, getting treatment for your injuries should be the first thing on your mind after an accident. This is extremely important, as you may have internal injuries that you may not even be aware of, until it’s too late.
Your next step should be to contact your insurance company and inform them of the accident. However, avoid talking to the truck driver’s insurance company. Instead, have an experienced truck accident attorney help you with this part. You need to focus on your recovery.
Contact an Ocala Tractor-Trailer Jackknife Accidents Attorney Today
Semi truck accidents, especially ones that involve jackknifing, can cause catastrophic or even fatal injuries. If you or a loved one was involved in such an incident, make sure you get the compensation you deserve for your damages.
Let the personal injury attorneys at Meldon Law handle your truck accident case. We know how complex they can be and that there can be multiple parties liable. Schedule a free consultation with an Ocala tractor-trailer jackknife accidents attorney by calling (800) 373-3000.