Ocala Bicycle Accidents Attorney
Many people enjoy bicycling and fortunately, there are many areas throughout Florida that cater to bicyclists. However, there are still many drivers who believe that bicycles do not belong on the roadways. Because of this, many motorists don’t carefully look for bicycles on the roads. Some may even act aggressive toward them. This can lead to serious bicycle crashes. If you are a victim, contact an Ocala bicycle accidents attorney as soon as possible to file a claim and understand your legal rights.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Most bicycle accidents actually do not involve motor vehicles. They involve the bicyclist and perhaps an object or animal. Some common situations include:
- A bicyclist falls off their bike due to defects in the roadway, such as potholes or huge cracks.
- A bicyclist gets in a crash after hitting an animal or is being attacked by one.
- A bicyclist collides with another cyclist or a pedestrian.
- A bicyclist crashes or falls off their bike due to loss of balance, intoxication, or some other factor.
- A bicyclist collides with debris in the road, a tree, curb, or other object.
While the majority of bicycle accidents do not involve motorists, when they do, they can be deadly. Here are some common examples:
- A vehicle cuts off a bicycle when entering the roadway.
- A vehicle hits a bicycle in the bike lane.
- A vehicle rear-ends a bicycle.
- A motorist opens a door in the path of a bicyclist.
- A motorist or bicyclist runs a stop sign or red light.
- The bicyclist is riding against oncoming traffic.
- The bicyclist is riding unpredictably.
Does Auto Insurance Cover Bicyclists?
If you have auto insurance, you may not know that it may cover damages involved in bicycling accidents. Even if you were riding a bicycle as opposed to driving a car, you should be covered for your injuries if you have personal injury protection coverage. If the accident was the motorist’s fault, then their insurance will cover your injuries.
What Damages Can I Claim?
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you may be able to receive three main types of damages, depending on the circumstances surrounding your case.
- Economic damages. This includes losses that can be calculated, such as medical bills, lost wages, and property damage.
- Non-economic damages. This includes damages that are harder to quantify, such as pain and suffering, disability, loss of enjoyment of life, scarring, anxiety, and other mental issues.
- Punitive damages. These damages are rare, but may be awarded by a judge or jury if the accident was extremely reckless, such as a crash involving a drunk driver or street racers.
Contact an Ocala Bicycle Accidents Attorney Today
Bicycle accidents are serious matters, especially when motor vehicles are involved. A victim can suffer catastrophic injuries and even death.
Don’t handle a bicycle accident on your own. Seek legal help from the personal injury attorneys at Meldon Law. We can help you find ways to maximize your compensation. Schedule a free consultation today. Call our Ocala bicycle accidents attorney at (800) 373-3000.