Ocala Bicycle Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured in a bicycle accident, an Ocala bicycle accident lawyer from our firm will stand up for your rights and take on your fight like it was our own.
Damages You May Recover from a Bicycle Accident in Ocala
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, you may be able to receive three main types of damages, depending on the circumstances surrounding your case:
- Economic damages. These include financial losses with accompanying bills and receipts, such as medical bills, lost wages, and property damage.
- Non-economic damages. These include more subjective losses, such as pain and suffering, disability, loss of enjoyment of life, scarring, and anxiety.
Our Ocala bicycle accident lawyers know how to determine liability and prove negligence in your case. We will help you identify all the losses you’ve suffered so that you can assemble a strong claim and seek fair compensation to meet your needs.
Does Auto Insurance Cover Bicycle Accidents?
If you have auto insurance, it may cover damages from bicycling accidents. Even if you were riding a bicycle instead of driving a car, your policy could cover your injuries if you have personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. If the accident was a motorist’s fault, their car insurance should cover your injuries.
If you are unsure whether your PIP or another party’s insurance policy should cover your injuries, your bike accident attorney in Ocala, Florida can review the applicable policies and explain your options.
How Our Ocala Bicycle Accident Attorneys Will Fight for You
At Meldon Law, our Ocala bicycle accident lawyers will treat you like family, always providing service to you and all our clients with compassion and integrity. Our law firm will begin working on your case by listening to you. We invite you to our office for a free consultation, or we can come to you if you cannot travel. We want to know everything you can recall about the crash.
We will then investigate the accident to determine how it happened and who was at fault. To file a claim with the appropriate insurance company, we must know who is liable for the accident. Our team will collect evidence of liability and negligence from eyewitnesses, CCTV, police reports, and other sources to support your compensation claim.
If the insurance company does not offer a compensation settlement that meets your needs, we can file a lawsuit on your behalf. While most cases—even those involving lawsuits—settle outside the courtroom, we will not hesitate to pursue justice in court on your behalf if necessary.
The Statute of Limitations for an Ocala Bicycle Accident Injury Lawsuit
At any time during the negotiation process, you may choose to file a lawsuit against the liable party or parties to recover compensation, as long as you do so within the state’s statute of limitations deadline.
According to HB 837 / SB 236, you must file a personal injury lawsuit within two years of the accident date. If you do not file within that time, you will not be allowed to do so. Some rare exceptions may exist, but we encourage you to reach out to us as soon as possible, so you do not risk the deadline passing before securing the compensation you deserve.
Working With the Ocala Bicycle Accident Attorneys at Meldon Law
Our attorneys in Ocala, Florida approach what we do each day as a calling, rather than a job. Nothing means more than the welfare of our clients. This has been true since 1971, when Florida native Jeffrey Meldon opened the doors of Meldon Law.
We are passionate about our clients’ welfare and supporting community programs around Florida. Our other and equal passion is legal education. We believe everyone benefits when they know their legal rights. To that end, we share information through:
- Radio shows
- Consumer guides
How Much Does it Cost to Work with Meldon Law?
We believe the most important thing you can do is focus on your recovery instead of stressing about unexpected financial costs. Our law firm offers free initial consultations. Additionally, if we decide to proceed with your case, we will work on a contingency-fee basis. This means you will pay no attorneys’ fees unless and until we recover a fair compensation settlement or judgment for you.
Client Testimonials for Meldon Law
Our clients are the only ones who can speak to their experience working with Meldon Law. We are pleased to share a few of their comments:
- “I had a very positive experience working with Tanner Demmery and Alexandra Gordon throughout the entire process . . . Given the situation I was in, Tanner was able to accommodate my work situation while I was traveling and consistently checked in with me to make sure we could work together. I was very pleased with the results of my case and would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a team that will take care of you during uncertain times.” – Rob H.
- “Carolyn Watson has been great with my case. She answers any and all questions that I have had and is also very professional. Being so young, I didn’t know much about the law process and she helped me out and made sure that I got treated fairly and [knew] what was going on throughout the whole ordeal.” – Kamelia S.
Potential Causes of Bicycle Accidents in Ocala
Living in Ocala, Florida often means loving the outdoors. Many in the area spend their outdoor time riding bicycles, which isn’t surprising, considering Florida ranks in the top 10 bicycle-friendly states, per the League of American Bicyclists.
However, the flip side of that statistic is that Florida leads the nation in bicycle accident deaths, according to WFLA News Channel 8. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, 2,520 bicycle crashes occurred in Florida in 2023, 30 of which occurred in Marion County.
Especially when bicycle accidents involve motorists, they can be deadly. Here are some examples:
- A vehicle cuts off a bicycle when entering the roadway.
- A vehicle hits a bicycle in the bike lane.
- A vehicle rear-ends a bicycle.
- A motorist opens a door in the path of a bicyclist.
- A motorist or bicyclist runs a stop sign or red light.
- The bicyclist rides against oncoming traffic, causing an accident.
- The bicyclist rides unpredictably, leading to an accident.
In other cases, bicycle accidents do not involve motor vehicles. Instead, they involve the bicyclist and perhaps a person, object, or animal. Some possible situations include:
- A bicyclist crashes their bike due to defects in the roadway, such as potholes or large cracks.
- A bicyclist collides with an animal.
- A bicyclist collides with another cyclist or a pedestrian.
- A bicyclist collides with debris in the road or another object.
No matter the cause, if you were involved in a bicycle accident that was not your fault, you may qualify for compensation. Your Ocala bicycle accident lawyer can help you understand your options.
Contact Meldon Law to Start Working With an Ocala Bicycle Accident Attorney Today
Bicycle accidents are serious matters, especially when motor vehicles are involved. Victims can suffer catastrophic injuries and even death.
Don’t try to handle a bicycle accident claim or lawsuit alone. Seek legal help from an Ocala bicycle accident lawyer at Meldon Law. Schedule a free consultation today by calling (352) 373-8000.