Lake City Wrongful Death Lawyer
It’s crazy to think that just a short time ago, you enjoyed the comfort and security of your loved one’s presence. Now, things have changed, and you have a lot on your plate managing the aftermath of their unexpected passing. Meldon Law offers compassion, kindness, and support to wrongful death claimants. We have three words for you: you have options.
A Lake City wrongful death lawyer can investigate your loved one’s passing, itemize your losses, and pursue financial recovery. We’ve secured millions for grieving families since 1971, and now, we’re extending a helping hand to you. Call (352) 373-8000 to start a free case review.
Our Lake City Wrongful Death Lawyers Shoulder Your Legal Burdens
After losing a loved one, you deserve this time to celebrate their life and heal. You shouldn’t have to deal with bureaucratic red tape, unsympathetic claims adjusters, and the legal process itself. Our personal injury team can:
- Investigate your loved one’s fatal accident
- Consult with field experts as necessary
- File your claim/lawsuit
- Answer your case-related questions
- Provide consistent updates
- Advise you on your options
- Handle all communications
Meldon Law offers these services and more on a contingency-fee basis. In this arrangement, you pay nothing upfront or out of pocket for our services. We withdraw our attorney’s fees from the settlement we secure on your behalf.
We’re Backed by Countless Satisfied Clients
Our law firm has one primary mission: to secure financial justice for grieving families. When asked about the quality of service they received with Meldon Law, some felt compelled to share:
- “Hands down the best law firm!!! True to their word, They won’t back down! God sent me to them for a reason, Thank You Jesus. Grateful for sure. Trustworthy, Notable and for the people. Thank you!!!” —J.M.
- “My team with Meldon Law was awesome and were really helpful during a difficult time in my life. They showed how much they cared and took their time to explain the process to me. I’m happy I chose them to help me with my case.” —O.
Our Wrongful Death Lawyers Seek These Damages
Florida’s wrongful death laws are complicated. Ultimately, what you can recover depends on your relationship with the decedent and the injuries they suffered before their passing. Compensation through a wrongful death claim or lawsuit may include:
- Loss of companionship and protection
- Pain and suffering endured by the decedent prior to their passing, as well as that experienced by the survivor(s)
- Loss of parental guidance
- Medical expenses from the time of injury to the time of death
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of the decedent’s income
You could recoup additional losses than those listed here.
We’ve Recovered Compensation for Florida Wrongful Death Claimants
At Meldon Law, we fight for our clients as we would our own families. What we do is not a job to us; it’s a calling, and we serve you with compassion and integrity.
Our wrongful death attorneys are a force to be reckoned with, both inside and outside the courtroom. Each case brings its own results, but a sampling of past wrongful death cases we’ve represented includes:
- $250,000 for a patient’s death due to hospital staff not properly monitoring a catheter
- $110,000 for the loss of a baby when the mother was induced in the hospital
We’re committed to recovering the highest possible settlement for your Lake City wrongful death case.
You Have a Limited Time to File Your Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Per Florida Statutes § 95.11, you generally have two years from the date of your loved one’s passing to file a wrongful death lawsuit. There are exceptions to this law, but they are limited. If you do not file within two years from the date of death, you could lose your right to claim damages.
After a wrongful death, we need time to investigate the incident. We must determine who is liable for the actions that led to your loved one’s death and if those actions meet certain legal requirements. Meldon Law is ready to break ground on your case as soon as you connect with us.
Our Law Firm Understands What Constitutes a Wrongful Death in Lake City
Florida law defines wrongful death as any death caused by the negligent, reckless, or wrongful actions of another party. People commonly confuse wrongful death claims with criminal charges, but the two are different. Wrongful death claims fall under civil law and can help family members recover damages after losing a loved one.
A criminal case will charge the defendant for any wrongdoing, such as an assault that caused the death. If found guilty, the defendant must comply with the court’s ruling, but victims do not claim compensation through this route.
Please note: even if the at-fault party in your case faces criminal charges, you can still pursue a wrongful death action and seek compensation. Our wrongful death team in Lake City can go into further detail during your complimentary case review.
Who Can File a Lake City Wrongful Death Case?
In Florida, the decedent’s personal representative named in the will or appointed by probate court can bring a wrongful death claim or lawsuit against the liable party. A personal representative seeks compensation on behalf of the decedent’s:
- Biological family members or adopted siblings who were dependent on the decedent at the time of death
You have nothing to lose and everything to gain by connecting with our wrongful death lawyers. During your free case review, we can discuss your legal rights, along with what you can expect from the claims process.
Our Lake City Wrongful Death Attorneys Fight for Your Family
At Meldon Law, our Lake City wrongful death attorneys understand how hard it is to lose someone you love. We are passionate about helping you and your family members recover the compensation you need, so you can heal.
To learn more about how we can help, call us today at (352) 373-8000. We’re ready to listen when you’re ready to share your story.