However, keep in mind, being charged with a crime does not make you guilty of that crime. The phrase “Nobody is Perfect” applies to the police as much as it does to anyone else. Mistakes and procedural errors are common in Columbia County DUI/DWI and criminal cases.
A LAKE CITY DUI CHARGE SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN LIGHTLY
If you have been arrested for drunk driving or driving under the influence, then you are facing a SERIOUS LIFE ALTERING EVENT and you need to make some important decisions IMMEDIATELY!
Why is it so serious? Here are only a few of the many reasons that a DUI charge in Florida should be fought vigorously:
- A DUI in Florida is a mandatory criminal conviction! This is more serious than many felonies and can affect the rest of your life.
- A conviction means that if you are guilty of the crime, then your DUI record cannot ever be erased, sealed, or expunged. A DUI doesn’t go away. It can affect your present and future employment, admission to graduate schools, military options, and insurance rates.
- A conviction can mean costly fines and even time spent in jail.
- Your driving privileges could be completely revoked.
HOW A LAKE CITY DUI DEFENSE LAWYER CAN HELP YOU
Because of the very serious potential consequences of a DUI conviction in Columbia County, you should always seek help from a skilled DUI defense lawyer as soon as possible. You may believe that your case is hopeless and that you will be found guilty—especially if a breath or blood test showed that you had a blood alcohol content (BAC) over the legal limit of 0.08 percent. This is not necessarily true, however, as there are many ways that a DUI defense attorney can help you to reduce or eliminate the penalties in your case. The following are only some examples of how our dedicated defense team can assist you:
- Identifying whether your traffic stop or arrest were unlawful and in violation of your constitutional rights.
- Examining how police administered any field sobriety tests to identify any errors.
- Challenging any observations or recollections of the police officer.
- Presenting another explanation for the signs of intoxication (such as illness or fatigue).
- Identifying if the forensic lab made any errors that would result in inaccurate results.
- Negotiating with the prosecutor to try to have your charges dropped or to agree to a plea bargain that involves reduced charges or a less harsh sentence.
- Representing you at trial to fight wrongful charges.
Even if you do plead guilty, an attorney can help to significantly lessen your penalties, as a reduced conviction may not affect your life in the same ways that a DUI conviction might.
SELECTING A LAKE CITY DUI/DWI DEFENSE ATTORNEY
DUI cases are more complex and complicated to defend than many other felonies. The number of DUI cases successfully defended over a long period of time is how a lawyer becomes skilled at DUI defense. This is THE single most important criteria for selecting a DUI lawyer. It is critical to hire an attorney based on their qualifications and experience. Experienced, skilled representation is THE most important factor in a successful DUI defense.
WHY MELDON LAW FOR YOUR LAKE CITY DUI DEFENSE?
As trial lawyers, Meldon Law attorneys are dedicated to preserving the rights of the accused. DUI defense is a sub-category of criminal defense lawyers, and not all criminal defense attorneys handle DUI cases. With six decades of DUI defense experience, our legal defense team—including attorneys Jeffrey Meldon, Carey Meldon, and Ian Pickens—have made DUI defense a concentration of their practice, and as a result they:
- Are experienced in DUI and criminal defense cases in Alachua, Bradford, Gilchrist, Levy, and Marion County.
- Take pride in their work.
- Are often referred cases from other lawyers throughout the state for DUI defense.
- Are aware of the up to date defense strategies.
- Became part of a statewide network of DUI attorneys that share defense information and tactics.
- Have regularly taught DUI defense strategies to other attorneys throughout Florida.
- Have handled numerous DMV Formal Review Hearings.
If you or a loved one was arrested for DUI, contact our office in Gainesville or Ocala for a free consultation today by calling 352-614-4007 now.
Meldon Law attorneys have also recently written the DUI guidebook, Ways to Possibly Avoid A DUI Charge or Conviction. You can request your free copy today. This book, written by these experienced DUI defense criminal trial lawyers, gives insight into what a DUI charge is, what it takes to be over the legal limit, ways the State can prove the charge, and possible legal defenses.
CONTACT OUR LAKE CITY DUI DEFENSE LAWYERS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE
Timing is important in any DUI case. The sooner you call our office, the sooner we can begin building an effective defense strategy for your case. We will immediately begin looking into the circumstances of your arrest to identify any possible violations of your rights or other important legal defenses that can help in your case. We will also assist you with any DMV hearings to minimize the effect of your DUI arrest on your driver’s license as much as possible.
Attorneys Jeffrey Meldon, Carey Meldon, and Ian Pickens head up the experienced DUI defense team at Meldon Law located in Gainesville and serve all of North Central Florida.
If you are facing DUI charges, you want the best possible defense to minimize the consequences you face and the effects on your life. Please do not wait to call the highly experienced DUI defense team at Meldon Law today at 352-614-4007 or send us a confidential email for a free consultation.