Lake City Boat Accident Attorneys
There are many beautiful waterways in and around Lake City, and these provide a great way to spend an afternoon boating. Florida has more registered boat owners than anywhere else in the country, and many of them reside right here in Lake City. Unfortunately, a day on the water can result in more than just tan lines and good memories. Serious accidents can occur and when they do, they can be deadly. If you or a loved one has been injured while on a boat, it is critical that you speak to a Lake City boat accident attorney that can advise you of your legal options.
Common Injuries After a Boating Accident
Accident victims can become injured in a number of ways while on a boat. The most common injuries that form the basis of personal injury claims include:
- Brain injuries: It is not uncommon for occupants on a boat to become submerged under water during a crash. If a person is underwater for too long, their brain becomes deprived of oxygen, which can result in brain damage. People are also sometimes thrown against bulkheads and other parts of the boat, sustaining a brain injury as they do.
- Lacerations: A person can suffer cuts and bruises during a boat accident in the same manner as they would during a car accident. Broken glass from shattered windows and a person may be thrown into equipment that cuts them very deeply, such as the propellers of a boat. These injuries may result in amputation.
- Spinal cord injuries: Boating accidents often create large wakes and waves, which can cause a boat to move up and down very dramatically, and sometimes very quickly. The motion can cause significant damage to the spinal cord, and herniated discs from this rocking are common.
- Drowning: An injury that is unique to boating accidents is drowning. Occupants on a boat can become thrown overboard, a boat may sink, or a person may otherwise become submerged in water and drown.
- Electrocutions: Boats contain a number of electrical systems and when these come into contact with water, electrocutions and shock can occur.
Boating accidents result in some of the most serious injuries, and it is important to speak to an attorney that can help you claim compensation for them.
Determining Liability After a Boating Accident
If you wish to file a claim for damages after a boating accident, one of the first steps you must take is to determine who was liable for the collision. A number of parties may be at fault for the crash. An operator of another boat is often to blame, but passengers onboard a boat can also hold their boat operator liable if they acted negligently and caused an accident. Lastly, if a defective boat part caused a collision, the manufacturer of that part, or of the boat, can also be held liable for paying full damages. A lawyer will take the necessary steps to determine liability so you know who to hold accountable for your injuries.
Our Lake City Boating Accident Attorney Can Handle All Aspects of Your Claim
If you or someone you love has been hurt while on the water, our Lake City boating accident attorney at Meldon Law can handle every detail of your case while you focus on recovering from your serious injuries. Call us today at 800-373-8000 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.