Fort Lauderdale Truck Accident Lawyer
A truck accident is a terrifying ordeal. In a moment, your life can turn upside down, and you may find yourself struggling with life-threatening injuries, permanent disabilities, and an uncertain future.
Big rig truckers are backed by their trucking company’s insurance providers. When they’re involved in an accident, there’s a legal team ready to defend them. You deserve the same support. Meet Meldon Law. We don’t back down from tough legal battles. If you were hurt in a Broward County collision, a Fort Lauderdale truck accident lawyer can advocate for you. You’re not alone in a time like this. Call (352) 373-8000 to start a free case review.
The Benefits of Partnering With Our Truck Accident Lawyers in Fort Lauderdale
In the aftermath of a truck accident, trucking companies and their insurers will try to minimize liability. They may attempt to pin the blame on you, or they may claim that you did not suffer serious injuries.
Working with one of our Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorneys grants the time and strength you need to recover from your injuries. Our attorneys will build your case by:
- Examining the police report
- Meeting with your medical team and reviewing your medical records
- Interviewing eyewitnesses
- Collecting evidence
- Preserving electronic monitoring data
- Hiring accident reconstruction teams
Once we’ve laid the groundwork for your case, we:
- Communicate on your behalf with all parties
- File a comprehensive insurance claim
- Negotiate with the insurance company for a full and fair settlement
- File a personal injury lawsuit (if the insurance company refuses to cooperate)
- Prepare for trial and represent you in court
Building a robust truck accident case requires determination and expertise, which is something we embrace at Meldon Law. We take on your fight like it was our own. Our attorneys are a force to be reckoned with, both inside and outside the courtroom. You can rest assured that once we take your case, we pour our time, attention, and energy into it.
Our Injury Lawyers Work on a Contingency-Fee Basis
At Meldon Law, we treat you like family. We believe that serving our clients with compassion and integrity is the key to success. We invite you to partake in a free case consultation. There’s no obligation attached, and we hope to answer any questions you may have.
One of your questions may include how our team handles payment. Since 1971, Meldon Law has operated on a contingency-fee basis, meaning you don’t pay attorney’s fees until we recover damages for you. We don’t ask for a dime out of pocket, and we don’t charge hourly rates. A portion of your settlement pays for our services.
What to Know About Seeking Damages Following an Accident in Fort Lauderdale
Florida is a no-fault state. As a motorist, you’re required to have at least $10,000 in personal injury protection (PIP) and property damage liability coverage. Following the accident, you generally seek compensation by filing a claim with your own insurer first. Certain instances allow you to file a claim with the trucker’s liability insurance.
Our team will assemble a case that pursues compensation for each damage related to your Fort Lauderdale collision, including:
- Medical bills
- Property damage expenses
- Lost wages or future earnings
- Pain and suffering
- Disability or disfigurement
- Reduced quality of life
Our truck accident attorneys know how to prove your case’s required elements and achieve a favorable settlement. With our team’s advocacy, you don’t have to worry about your case’s outcome. We take care of everything.
You Have a Limited Time to Seek Damages Through a Lawsuit
Days can turn into weeks, and weeks can turn into months in the aftermath of a serious truck accident. If too much time passes, you could lose the right to compel damages from the at-fault party. Florida Statute § 95.11 notes that you generally have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. Your filing deadline begins from the date of your accident, although very few exceptions could extend this filing period.
Meldon Law manages your case’s time-sensitive aspects from beginning to end. Yet, we can’t advocate for you without first understanding the situation at hand. To uphold your right to damages, we encourage you to connect with our team at your earliest convenience. Prompt legal action could make the difference between a successful case and a dismissed one.
We’ve Recovered Millions for Injured Personal Injury Claimants
Our attorneys have successfully represented countless trucking accident claimants in Fort Lauderdale. Our time in the legal arena has taught us that big rig crash cases are rarely simple. Each requires a unique approach and intensive investigation, just as each survivor faces individual challenges and needs after an accident.
We’re proud of our ability to successfully recover compensation for our truck accident clients. A small sampling of our successful truck accident cases includes:
- $3,000,000. Our attorneys helped an injured bicyclist hit by a commercial truck. Compensation accounted for their past and future injury-related expenses.
- $425,000 and $337,500. A school bus was letting students off when a truck plowed into the vehicle, causing the occupants to suffer serious injuries. An investigation found that the truck did not pass inspection. We secured compensation for two claimants.
- $135,000. Our attorneys helped a truck accident victim after a rear-end accident left them with cervical injuries.
Do the outcomes of these cases reflect your case’s conclusion? Not necessarily. Yet, we promise that we will put the same energy and dedication into your case as we’ve done with others.
We’re Motivated by the Feedback Our Truck Accident Lawyers Leave Behind
Our clients’ generous praise humbles us and empowers us to continue serving injured people. These three comments convey the sense of what we hear each day:
- “Hands down the best law firm!!! True to their word, They won’t back down! God sent me to them for a reason, Thank You Jesus. Grateful for sure. Trustworthy, Notable and for the people. Thank you!!!” —Jermaine
- “My team with Meldon Law was awesome and were really helpful during a difficult time in my life. They showed how much they cared and took their time to explain the process to me. I’m happy I chose them to help me with my case.” —Orianna
- “I go to Meldon Law for any legal advice that may come up. Everyone I have spoken to there has been extremely nice and helpful, and Jessica Thomason particularly has helped me with many questions over the years. I trust Meldon Law and would refer anyone I know that needs legal representation to them.” ––Kelley
We’re confident that at the conclusion of your truck accident case, you’ll have similar sentiments.
What Should I Do After a Truck Accident in Fort Lauderdale?
After a truck accident in Fort Lauderdale, there are many things that could bolster your case’s outcome. These considerations include:
Getting Prompt Medical Attention
Securing medical attention should be among your top priorities after a collision. Depending on your situation, this may involve admitting yourself to the hospital, going to the emergency room, or visiting an urgent care center. Getting healthcare does two things:
- It betters your condition. Even if you can never fully recover from your injuries, a doctor can help you adapt to your day-to-day life. They could even eliminate all (or most) of the symptoms you experience.
- It generates evidence for your case. You need as much evidence as possible to support your truck accident claim. Your medical records, including x-rays and medications’ names, can bolster your case. We can only secure this information if you seek medical care immediately after the crash.
Following Your Doctors’ Prescribed Treatment Plan
Seeking medical attention is just one thing on your post-accident to-do checklist. You must also follow your doctor’s recommended treatment plan, which may involve:
- Taking medications as prescribed
- Attending all follow-up appointments
- Undergoing diagnostic tests
- Limiting your physical activity
But wait––why is following your doctor’s treatment plan so important? You don’t want the other party to discredit the severity of your condition. You want to show the liable insurer that you did everything possible to better your injuries and deserve the amount of compensation you’re requesting.
Refer All Settlement Offers to Us––Meldon Law
The insurance company’s first offer:
- May not account for your future expenses, such as anticipated treatments
- Hopes to resolve your case for as little money as possible
- May not include compensation for non-economic damages, such as pain and suffering
That’s why we ask that you refer all settlement offers to your legal team before accepting one. If you accept compensation from the insurer, even a dollar, your case ends. You don’t want to settle your case for less than it’s worth. Instead, let us evaluate all offers and advise you on whether to accept.
Frequently Asked Questions About Truck Accident Cases in Fort Lauderdale
It’s understandable to have questions about your case moving forward. We want to provide all the information you need to make informed decisions. You may ask:
Does It Matter Whether I Contributed to the Truck Accident?
Florida functions under a modified comparative negligence rule. This means you can recover damages following an accident if you were partially at fault. However, if you caused most of the accident, you could be ineligible to recover anything.
It helps to have an attorney on your side if the other party blames you for what happened. Your lawyer can gather evidence that refutes their allegations and protects your right to compensation. Supporting evidence in your case could include the accident report, traffic camera footage, and eyewitness testimony.
Who Could Be Liable for My Truck Accident in Fort Lauderdale?
After a serious truck accident, multiple parties often share liability. That’s why we start many cases with an investigation. This allows us to determine who is responsible for your accident and who should pay for your losses.
Fault could lie with a:
- Truck driver. Truck drivers must follow the rules and regulations of the road. This means following traffic rules, following the state’s Hours of Service regulations, and abstaining from drunk driving.
- Trucking company. Trucking companies must perform routine maintenance, safety inspections, and vehicle checks. It also involves properly training drivers and hiring drivers with the necessary endorsements.
- Truck maintenance company. Some trucking companies hire separate third-party maintenance companies to keep their fleets running smoothly. When these companies cut corners, trucks may fail on the road, resulting in serious and deadly accidents.
- Shipping company. The shipping company is often responsible for properly loading the truck with goods. This means securing the loads and balancing the loads properly in the truck. Unsecured loads can shift inside the cargo bed or container and make the truck more difficult to control, making the company liable for any losses.
- Manufacturers. Truck manufacturers and trucking parts manufacturers have a responsibility to ensure that their products are safe, reliable, and free from defects. Not doing so may result in catastrophic injuries and product liability claims.
- Local or state government responsible for roads and infrastructure. Each county, city, and state must maintain the roads in their community. They must make sure that the roads in the community are safe and free from known hazards, such as deep potholes, unmarked shoulders, or overgrown shrubs. In some cases, the government entity responsible for maintaining the roads can bear liability for any resulting collisions.
What Injuries Allow Me to Seek Compensation?
You deserve compensation if you suffered serious injuries in a collision. These conditions can include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Soft-tissue injuries
- Internal organ damage and bleeding
- Disfiguration and amputation
We extend our deepest, most heartfelt sympathies if you lost a loved one to a fatal collision. You have rights as a wrongful death claimant in Florida, and we offer comprehensive legal help to grieving families.
Begin Your Free Case Evaluation With Our Fort Lauderdale Accident Team
If you or someone you love suffered an injury in a truck crash in Fort Lauderdale, our personal injury attorneys have the knowledge and resources needed to recover damages. We have no problem going toe-to-toe with large trucking companies and fighting for your rights.
To learn more about your legal options, call (352) 373-8000.