Am I An Aggressive Driver?
Aggressive driving means driving under the influence of “impaired emotions.” While aggressive driving is responsible for 27,000 traffic-related deaths each year, it is a lifestyle choice. So, people can choose to change.
The following questions may help you identify if you’re an aggressive driver. When you’re on the road, do you:
- Express frustration. Do you take your frustration, anger, or anxiety out on other drivers, passengers, or pedestrians? Do you make obscene hand gestures, scream, or make threatening facial expressions? Honk your horn, flash your lights, or rev your engine?
- Speed. Do you often receive speeding citations? Do you travel 15 mph over the speed limit? Drive as fast as you feel like? Do you “gun it” and slam on the brakes? Do you race other cars?
- Passengers refuse rides. Do passengers tell you they feel scared?
- Make frequent lane changes. Do you weave in and out of traffic to pass cars? Make frequent lane changes? Pass on the right or in the grass?
- Fail to obey traffic devices. Do you run red lights? Do you go through stop signs? Fail to stop for pedestrians or yield to traffic?
- Feel angry and stressed. Do you feel anger, frustration, aggression, anxiety, stress, rushed, or in a hurry?
- Feel lack of concern for other drivers.
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you may be an aggressive driver. What should you do?
- Relax. Slow down and use breathing techniques.
- Listen to calming music.
- Drive the posted speed limit.
- Avoid high traffic areas.
- Leave early and give yourself extra time.
- Decide to be late. Just be late, if all else fails.
- Use public transportation or ride with another driver.
- Attend an aggressive driving course.
For more information:
- Aggressive Driving Defined-how to identify it on the road
- How do I protect myself from Aggressive Drivers? Gainesville accident attorney gives some answers.
I am local accident attorney Jeffrey Meldon and I strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of and/or recovery from a serious accident. My office and I take pride in our work, and the results we get for our clients.
Meldon Law is a regional law firm that is located in Gainesville, Florida. We are personal injury lawyers, litigators and trial lawyers that have been working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years throughout North Florida and all over Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, motorcycle, ATVs, bicycle, pedestrian accidents, and dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
For more information on how we can help you, or with any other question you may have, feel free to contact our office at 800-373-8000.