What Are the Qualities to Look for in a Top Personal Injury/Accident Lawyer?
If you are trying to find a quality personal injury lawyer to represent you, if you have been injured in an accident that was not your fault this article may help you. First of all it is of vital importance to hire an attorney that specializes in personal injury or accidents. There are two main reasons for this:
First, the world of personal injury law in Florida is very complex and specialized. This is a specialty that requires a lawyer who handles accident cases regularly, on a full time basis, and has extensive experience.
Second, insurance companies know who the attorneys are in your area that handle accident cases and know of their settlement and trial histories. The insurance companies then use this knowledge to evaluate their “risk” of having to pay out money in a claim based upon the attorney in a particular case.
Tips When Looking for an Accident or Personal Injury Attorney
- Choose not only an attorney who specializes in personal injury, but one who understands the particular medicine involved in your case as well.
- Choose an attorney who is willing to go to trial. Insurance companies keep a list of the personal injury attorneys who are willing to, and do, go to trial. Basically, the insurance company will pay more money to settle a case out of court if there is a greater chance or “risk” they will try the case in court. This is why having an attorney with a notable reputation of going to trial can actually increase your chances of avoiding trial.
- Make sure the lawyer you are interviewing has the financial ability to present your case effectively; many times it is necessary for a personal injury lawyer to advance a lot of money for expensive experts and technology to prove a case.
- Find out about how the attorney’s office is set up and how it functions. For example:
- Who will be working on your case?
- Who negotiates cases with the insurance company?
- Is there adequate support staff?
- Does the lawyer take all the cases that come through their door?
- How much time does the lawyer actually spend on a case, or is it just handed over paralegals?
- How does communication occur between the office and the client?
- Beware: there are some attorneys that pride themselves on having a big stack of cases and not necessarily on the results of each case, or some that spend most of their time signing up cases and little time working on the case.
- Make sure the attorney is licensed in the state where your case will be filed. Insurance companies know who is not licensed and therefore can not actually try the case, so you will be at a disadvantage when it comes to negotiations. Also, laws vary from state to state.
- Choose an attorney who is both competent and who you feel comfortable with. Remember, just because a lawyer is likeable, does not mean that he or she will be the most qualified attorney to help you win your case. It is important that you like your attorney, or at least respect him or her; however, it should not be the only basis for your hiring decision.
We at Meldon Law strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
We are experienced personal injury attorneys, trial lawyers, negotiators, litigators, paralegals, and staff that have been proudly working to get accident victims the justice they deserve for over 40 years in Gainesville, Ocala, Lake City, Inverness, and the rest of North Central Florida and North Florida. Accidents involving a car crash, truck wreck, and motorcycle, bicycle, or pedestrian accidents, dog bites, slip and falls, medical malpractice, and criminal defense are all included in our practice.
Based on Jeffrey Meldon’s, founder of Meldon Law, over 40 years of helping accident victims get justice and a fair shake from the insurance companies, he has written the consumer guide book, Seven Mistakes That Can Wreck Your Florida Accident Case. You can request your free, no obligation copy right now, or contact our office for your complimentary copy sent to you today.
Contact Meldon Law at 800-373-8000 immediately if you have been involved in a serious auto, truck, or motorcycle accident. We are in your community, have the experience and resources required to work towards obtaining a fair settlement for you – we are here to help you.