Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Florida Personal Injury & DUI Attorneys > How to Get a Hardship After DUI Arrest

How to Get a Hardship After DUI Arrest

How to obtain a Hardship After DUI

Just because you have been arrested or convicted of a DUI and have a license suspension does not mean necessarily mean you won’t be able to drive during that period of time. Discussing your options with a skilled DIU attorney at Meldon Law can determine If you are eligible for a hardship permanent or license, there is a two-step process that you must undertake to successfully receive that license/permanent.

First, what a person would need to do is enroll in DUI school. There are multiple places that you can enroll in the DUI throughout the State of Florida, so the one that you will want to attend will be based on your regional area.

For instance, the West Central Florida Driver Improvement School would service those seeking to enroll in DUI school that live in Marion County, while the North Central Florida Safety Council would be for those individuals residing in Alachua County, as well as for those in Bradford, Dixie, Gilchrist, Levy, and Union Counties. For those who live in Columbia County, you would want to go to the Northeast Florida Safety Council. The contact information for all three locations has been listed below.

When you go to enroll in DUI school, you will need three things. First you will need a copy of the DUI citation that the law enforcement officer issued you. Second, you will need a copy of the arrest report, which you should be able to obtain either through the local clerk of courts office or through a request to the arresting agency. Lastly, you will need a copy of your lifetime driver’s license history, which the school can provide you a copy of for a $16 fee. If you have recently obtained a Florida driver’s license, then you may be required to also provide your driver’s license history from whatever state you were previously licensed in.

From there, they will determine which DUI course you will need to enroll in, Level I or Level II. Level I is for first time offenders. The cost is around $298, and the course consists of a one-hour evaluation and 12 hours of classes. Level II is for individuals who have had a prior alcohol related incident. Level II also consists of a one-hour evaluation but requires 21 hours of classes and the cost is over $400.

Once you have enrolled in the course and scheduled your evaluation and classes, you will be provided proof of your enrollment. Next, you will need to fill out an eligibility/waiver form. Once you fill out that form, you will need to fax both the proof of enrollment and eligibility form to the bureau of administrative review for your regional area. For instance, Alachua County hardship requests are typically handled out of Jacksonville, while Marion County is handled out of Tampa.

Once you have provided that information, there will be a hardship hearing. The cost of this hearing is $25 and the hearing is generally handled telephonically. If approved, you will again have to go down to your local DMV to have your license reinstated to that restricted use status. That status will allow you to drive for work purposes.

It is important to know your options. At Meldon Law, we know we have the knowledge and experience to assist you whether you want to apply for a hardship license or whether you want to challenge the license suspension at a formal review hearing. If you elect to waive your right for a formal review hearing, contact Meldon Law and they will help you every step of the way until you have that hardship license.

Northeast Florida Safety Council
260 S. Marion Avenue, Ste #160 Bldg D,
Lake City, FL 32055
(386) 755-7041

North Central Florida Safety Council
3710 NW 51st St., Suite A
Gainesville, FL 32606
(352) 377-2566

West Central Driver Improvement Course
225 NE 14th St,
Ocala, FL 34470
(352) 622-6991

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

© 2021 - 2022 Meldon Law. All rights reserved. This law firm website
and legal marketing are managed by MileMark Media.