As the state with the highest rate of unintentional toddler drowning deaths in the U.S. from 1999 to 2003, Floridians cannot be too careful about pool safety.
In the U.S., drowning is the second leading cause of child death, second to motor vehicle accidents. Statistically, 50% of children submerged in a pool, die.
As a personal injury attorney in Gainesville and all of North Central Florida, I urge the following pool safety steps:
- Fence, Cover, or Alarms. Equip your pool, old or new, with a statutorily compliant safety device, such as a 4-foot barrier or fence, a safety cover, house alarms. See the Residential Swimming Pool Safety Act F.S. §§ 515.21-.37(2011) for specifications.
- Door Alarms. If your house is a barrier around a pool, make sure the windows and doors have sensors and alarms.
- Supervision. Always keep your eyes on children or medically frail seniors when a pool is present-even if no one is swimming.
- Arm’s reach. When swimming, practice “touch supervision.” Keep your child at arm’s length.
- If you’re considering installing a pool, wait until your child is at least 5 years old.
- Visibility. Maintain water in clear condition and remove toys from the pool when not in use (also avoids attracting children). An automated pool cleaner or fun-shaped thermometer (rubber duck) may attract kids too.
- Teach your child to swim when age appropriate;
- Keep rescue equipment (life preserver, shepherd’s hook, and phone) near the pool.
- When a child is missing, look in the pool first.
- Learn CPR and how to swim.
- Drain covers. Avoid entrapment by maintain pool and spa drain covers in good working order.
- “Floaties.” Do not rely on air-filled floatation devices to supervise your child for you.
- Prohibit running, diving, or riding toys near the pool.
Drowning may occur in a matter of minutes and can result in death or serious lifelong injury.
For more information on this important topic please see:
Hello, I am Jeffrey Meldon. As an accident attorney, I strongly believe that public education is the first step in the prevention of an accident or in the recovery from one.
My Office and Assoicates are located in Gainesville, Florida. We are Personal Injury Attorneys (Accident Lawyers). I take pride in my work and the results that I and my experienced team of Associates and Staff get for our clients.
Everyone in my Office works hard to help accident victims get the justice and the fair settlement or jury verdict that they deserve thoughout the North and Central Florida area including: Ocala, Marion County, Alachua County, Lake City, Citrus County, Daytona Beach, and Inverness. I am highly involved with every case in my office and am the negotiator with insurance companies.
You can feel free to give me a call at 1 800 373 8000 or contact my office, with any questions you may have, or to discuss your unique case.
Consultations and Case Evaluations are always Free