Being the victim of any traffic accident is traumatic. However, when the person causing the crash leaves the scene of the accident and does not stop to render aid or take responsibility, not only could you be seriously injured but extremely angry as well.
As a local accident attorney, serving Gainesville, Ocala and the entire state of Florida, here are 6 tips to help you know what to do if you are the victim of a hit and run accident:
- You have a duty to remain at the scene of the crash and render aid and provide information, if possible.
- Call 911 immediately. If you have any identifying information regarding the vehicle or driver that left the scene, give it to the police immediately over the phone.
- It is critical to get names and contact information for all witnesses. In a hit and run accident, witnesses are vitally important.
- Being a victim of a hit and run accident is much like being the victim of other accidents regarding your auto insurance policy. The exception being, you have to prove it was a hit and run and that the other person was at-fault.
- Your Uninsured Motorist Coverage will protect you in the event of a hit and run crash, whether you are in a motorist or a pedestrian, and the accident was not your fault.
- Anytime there are serious injuries resulting from an accident, it is best to get the advice and assistance of an experienced accident attorney.
For more information: